Seeking advice on $850 Gaming Rig (Overclocking)

shadeobrady

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hey there everyone!

I used to always build my PCs, but have used a combo of macs and prebuilts lately - haven't custom built in probably 8 years (relearning where we're at was fun). I could definitely use some advice here from a community as informed as this one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: A few pieces at a time over the next 4-5 months

BUDGET RANGE: $850 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming & Graphic Design

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, power supply, chassis, sound card, after-market heat sink, hard-drive, CD/DVD RW

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com - but best price wins

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD would be best as I'm overclocking, but no real preferences

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Eventually

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Variant (multiple monitors sometimes)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Definitely need a fast computer that can handle graphics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may be a few months and I'll buy these one at a time - So I'll continue to look for combos. For now the best looking graphics and RAM are separate.

$320- COMBO: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W - with - ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.430434]

$295 - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477&cm_re=5850-_-14-150-477-_-Product]

$98 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=G_Skill_Ripjaw_DDR3-_-20-231-277-_-Product]

This one will be an upgrade more towards winter - hopefully a pricedrop by then:
$160 - Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226151
* Updated to reflect responses. I've decided to wait to get the hard drive last - only need the CPU, GPU, RAM, and Motherboard

lowriderflow

Distinguished
First of all.... the GTX460 at $200 blows the 5830 away. Look around online for some benchmarks and they'll all show you teh same thing. The gtx460 is cheaper and superior to the 5830 - If you insist on sticking to ATI, I've seen some 5850's on newegg for $250 after rebates. Get alot more power than the 5830 for just a little more.

SECONDLY - you do not want that memory kit. 'Tri-Channel' memory kits are for intels i7 processor lineup. Your AMd build motherboard will use 'dual channel' - simply put, you want to keep your memory in pairs (NOT triplets) - so either go with 2sticks, or 4 sticks.

Also, do not buy a biostar motherboard. For the same price, you should be able to get a name brand like Gigabyte.
-When shopping on newegg... make sure you look at the available combos. You could probly combo a few of those things together and save an extra $40 or $50 bucks

shadeobrady

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hey guys - thanks for all of your recommendations. I realized I had a little more research to do on RAM after those. I've updated my initial post up top with the new GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM I'm looking at.

As I buy I'll be looking for better combos if possible. Does this all seem decent?

shadeobrady

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks! What's the deal with SSD and their speed compared to price? I've seen a few 50gigs at read at ~180mg/s that weren't too expensive.

Is my HD choice not going to be so much of a bottleneck that I shouldn't spend extra now on the lower end SSDs?