[SOLVED] Seeking advice on all my component choices for new build gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 5, 2019
Hi all, newbie here planning to buy components for new gaming PC for Christmas for my son (so planning to purchase very soon). This machine will actually be used for 3d rendering and video editing. Apologies if this is wrong forum or not appropriate. Otherwise any feedback greatly appreciated! I'm planning to order in the next couple days to have the best chance of getting parts and getting the thing built for Christmas.

I'm not worrying about display or keyboard as yet though any thoughts on these would also be welcome!

All the links I'm posting are to Amazon (UK - I am in Ireland) as my experience is that they are usually quite quick to deliver. Prices are in pounds sterling.

I don't have a real specific budget but what I've chosen brings me close to the ceiling probably. I'm not looking so much for opportunities to improve the spec as just if anything is not going to be compatible or any better options (bearing in mind that I've never done this before).

CPU:
Intel Core i7 9700K
£368

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07NWD9VGH/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
£230

Case:
Corsair SPEC-DELTA Carbide Series
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KGSJRC3
£53

Motherboard:
Gigabyte MB INT 1151 Z390 Designare D4 ATX
£258

Power Supply:
Fractal Design Ion SFX Gold 650W
£121

Primary Drive (SSD):
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
£180

Secondary Drive (HDD):
Seagate 2 TB BarraCuda
£55

RAM 2x 8GB:
Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)
£60

Total about £1325 before monitor + keyboard

Thanks a million for any thoughts on this!

Solution
Looks good my friend! I[m sure your son will love it.
Just some notes:
  • You need a CPU cooler as the K does not have one stock
  • Have you considered Ryzen? Which for value will probably be better for the usage you describe?
  • PSU is good but is SFX, so not really needed in that form factor.
  • Very expensive motherboard that isn't really needed IMO.
  • I would stick to Turin architecture NVIDIA GPUs for your usage.
You can then use the money to bump up the GPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£67.18 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC...
Yeah, and whoever asks the difference between 3xxx and 5xxx you deny them 4xxx. So, as per you, if its not between 7600k and 8600k, where theres a thread jump along with IPC, its a generation to skip and a moot point. Thats a trend ok, i understand the something better school of thought...I understand that. But what about the 3d rendering and video editing delta you are denying them right now in terms of productivity IPC. Does that actually justify the cost variable they are paying or actually going to accumulate due to your perception. Don't think so mate.

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Normally people come here with gaming only on the mind. So yes, I tend to ignore real work. If someone does say they want to do 3D modeling and other stuff then sure, consider it. But if you are gaming and need the best cheaper gaming CPU you can get so you can afford a 2060 or 1080TI, then the 3xxx chips just don't make sense.

Edit: And he did say gaming PC first. Other uses came in the next sentence. Those other tasks would run better on the more core 2700 than the 3600x right? With the way cheap price of the 2 series right now I just don't see why getting the 3xxx makes sense.

Normally people come here with gaming only on the mind. So yes, I tend to ignore real work. If someone does say they want to do 3D modeling and other stuff then sure, consider it. But if you are gaming and need the best cheaper gaming CPU you can get so you can afford a 2060 or 1080TI, then the 3xxx chips just don't make sense.

Edit: And he did say gaming PC first. Other uses came in the next sentence. Those other tasks would run better on the more core 2700 than the 3600x right? With the way cheap price of the 2 series right now I just don't see why getting the 3xxx makes sense.
Not the case...
"his machine will actually be used for 3d rendering and video editing. Apologies if this is wrong forum or not appropriate. "

4745454b

Titan
And he did say gaming PC first. Other uses came in the next sentence.

To be honest I saw gaming and stopped looking at use case. But still, how did I end my edit?

Those other tasks would run better on the more core 2700 than the 3600x right? With the way cheap price of the 2 series right now I just don't see why getting the 3xxx makes sense.

Going from memory when this thread was created, either the 2700 or the 2700x (I don't remember which.) has the same clock speeds as the 3600x. But both have an extra 2 cores and 4 threads. If trying to game while using my PC for real work, I'd still take the 2700 over the 3600X. PCIe 4.0 isn't here yet, AND I get 2 more cores with 4 more threads while saving money. The 3xxx line isn't bad. Just over priced while the older series is getting cleared out.

Edit: Our review of the 3600X doesn't have the 2700 or 2700x in it. I did find one that did.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-review,1.html

If you are concerned about work, look at those results. Yes, in any single core task the 3600x will beat even the 2700x. To be expected. But look at the zip, handbrake, etc results. Those extra cores kick in and keep the 2700x ahead. It is close sometimes. But if you are objecting to us focusing on gaming and not real work I'm honestly not sure what you are talking about. Finally, add in the current costs for these chips. Newegg has the 3600x for $240. The 2700x is $190. That's $50 cheaper while having more performance. The 3xxx will have it's day. But not until old stock of 2xxx is gone.

Last edited: