[SOLVED] Seeking: Advice on new video card and motherboard for video and audio production

Dec 6, 2021
This is a bit of an odd situation and I feel like 'that guy.' It's ok to chuckle and shake your head at me. I rookied this situation like a pro.

In an effort to replace my 2018 6-core 2.2GHz MacBook Pro for video editing (which I originally used to DJ with), I ordered a custom built PC from eBay. I haven't received the PC yet, although it's scheduled to be dropped off tomorrow.

Over the last few days, my needs have changed slightly. 'Casual video editing' became more than casual. And while I don't foresee this need to increase in the future as quickly as it did recently, I want to build something that I can upgrade per component.

I have a budget of $1000 to upgrade the current system (from eBay) below. Like the rookie I am, I order memory that's over capacity for the motherboard. And according to my kid, the video card is lacking.

I'm looking to upgrade the video card and motherboard. I was looking at the Asus Creator Series for the MB. I don't know if this is overkill or appropriate for future proofing.

As for the video, I have no clue. I heard that Nvidia works well with Adobe, but also that the AMD cards are catching/caught up (cuda cores?).

I'm sorry for my naivety in this. The last desktop PC I built had jumpers on the motherboard and IDE cables for the hard drives.

I tried to be as descriptive as I could below with the current system I have coming and software I use. 'Current PC' is what will be delivered tomorrow except for the audio, which I already have and use for audio production on my MacBook.

I'm not going to return the eBay computer. It's not the seller's fault things changed and that I didn't do my due-diligence.

Budget: $1000
Components to upgrade: Video, Motherboard, Power Supply (probably).
Goal: Video Production including motion graphics. See bottom of this post for the software I use.
New Windows Home License isn't included in this budget.

---------
Current System (copied from eBay page I ordered from):

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 5800X 8-Core 3.8GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo)
CPU Cooling: AMD Cooler Aluminum CPU fan
Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV AM4 , DDR4, USB 3.0,GB LAN
Memory: 16GB (1x16GB) PC4-21300 DDR4 3000MHz (*see below for more rookie-ness)
Video card: GeForce GTX 1650 4GB PCI EXpress 3.0, up to 3 monitor, HDMI+ display port
Storage: m.2 SSD drives 512GB m.2 Solid State Drive, SATA3 , 550MB/s
Sound: M Audio 192| 14 (External, External Power)
Network: Ethernet network adapter 10/100/1000 (onboard)
Power Supply: Apevia 500W Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply (6+2pin)
Case: Rosewill SPECTRA D10 LED Green, w/ Tempered Glass and Front Mesh USB 3.0 (no DVD bay)
Keyboard: Black Windows Keyboard, 104 key (wired)
Mice: 2-Button Wheel Mouse (wired)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

*I bought 64gb (2x32) to add to the system before I realized the motherboard has a 32gb limitation. Rookie mistake. It's ok to chuckle. (Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4 3200(PC4-25600) C161.35V Desktop Memory -Black)
---------

Software:

Adobe CC (AI, PS, PR, AE (with below extensions), AU), Ableton 11 (See VST List Below), Jetbrains IDEs (PHP, Python), Manycam for recording.

AE Extensions: Element 3d (w/ metropolitan pack), TypeMonkey, GEOlayers, Squash & Stretch Pro, other various as above.

VSTs: Maschine+Komplete Standard (Massive, Battery, etc.), Izotope Production Suite (Ozone, Nectar, Neutron, etc.), Serum, Absynth, Waves (OVox Vocal ReSynthesis, F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ, etc.), other various as above.

All software kept to current version via subscribed updates.
---------

Use Case(s):
Create heavily produced motion graphics for use in my training videos. I will be using a green screen and key it out. These videos will be tasks-oriented and my goal is to keep them under 10 minutes, although I can see some going 20+ minutes.

Create 3D effects and scenes using software like Element 3D/Blender/Cinema

Web Dev is my profession, but I use a whole other Linux box for that.

Video delivery will be online or through a private network. 4K would be impractical, but a nice-to-have. Easy upgrade to would be a plus.

And thank you for any guidance. Much appreciated.

- Kevin

I apologize for typos as I used a text editor without spell check because that's where I feel comfy when pasting to an online editor.

Last edited:
Solution
pumping out money to upgrade a system that is a brand new pre-built is a bad idea.
besides that you will be voiding any warranty pertaining to this pre-built you will more than likely have wasted quite a bit of money.

your best option is to return the system while still within the return date and look for something more in line with what you need.

if you had already planned on doing these upgrades yourself your best bet would be to just build an entirely new system from scratch.
this way you can upgrade or manipulate each component as you feel without blowing the warranty of the entire system and all included components.
pumping out money to upgrade a system that is a brand new pre-built is a bad idea.
besides that you will be voiding any warranty pertaining to this pre-built you will more than likely have wasted quite a bit of money.

your best option is to return the system while still within the return date and look for something more in line with what you need.

if you had already planned on doing these upgrades yourself your best bet would be to just build an entirely new system from scratch.
this way you can upgrade or manipulate each component as you feel without blowing the warranty of the entire system and all included components.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly, the only thing that's inline with Anything you actually require for your needs in that build is the cpu. Everything else is 3 steps or more below necessity.

Video editing, rendering, encoding and most other video/graphics associated programs are best done via the gpu, not the cpu. Gpu is faster, smoother, easier. The kid is right.

Blender, OBS, after affects, Ai, Adobe etc will be the cpu.

Power supply. Don't shortchanged that. A crappy psu (Apevia is high on the list of all time fancy crap in a name brand) does nothing but create issues with voltages, spikes, under current conditions that can and do result in bluescreens or component failures, and will generally happen right when you really can't afford it to.

Your data is your livelihood, don't trust it to cut-rate storage. You don't need the uber fast, but you do need solid and reliable.

Work a pc hard means high workloads, that's a lot of cpu power, and that requires cooling. While amd has the best stock coolers ever designed, they are still stock and a good cooler will pay off in cpu performance, especially on a Ryzen.

With what your software requirements are, I'd spend some time at Pugetsystems. They are the Pro's when it comes to Adobe and related software and have lots of info on exactly where you should be investing the budget. Once you know what you need, then it's just a matter of balancing the budget to get the best components to fit the requirements.

You don't need a Creator. That's a huge expense that's not justified by the rest of the hardware choices. A decent B550/X570 like the Asus Tuff Gaming is every bit as good, uses the same VRM's and voltage regulatory circuitry as motherboards costing twice as much or more. That money would be far better used put towards a better gpu, psu, storage, case, ram......

Dec 6, 2021
Thank you for your responses.

I'm going to refuse delivery and have the system returned. I am also going to work with the vendor on upgrades and let them put it together.

I realize that my previous plan was a bit idiotic.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Not idiotic. That's a little to harsh. Naive to be sure. That ebay seller saw you coming and loaded you down with flash and fancy sounding junk. Being the victim of a professional salesman doesn't make you an idiot, just a victim like any other when dealing with Snake-oil conmen.

I'd start another post, ask for a build in the title, just say semi-pro video/graphics work in the description and a budget. Clarify any must-haves or don't needs, things like mouse, kb, monitor(s), rgb or not, etc. You'll get several from posters and can then look up parts suggested, reviews, etc

Better to get the info first, do the homework, then make an informed decision/purchase from the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: blur410