[SOLVED] Seeking Build Help

Ozzballz

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Good evening all!
Before we begin, I would like to say that I highly appreciate everybody who helps me out in this thread.

A brief summary about me,
I parted with computers when Ryzen 3 came out which was in 2017 I believe. Since then, I have lost confidence in what I think is considered good for my needs. I have been researching on my own, but I know I can always rely on this community to give me genuine opinions. After all, my first build was from the help of this community. Unfortunately, I do not recall what I had as I sold it. So here I am turning to you guys to help me out once again. :) Plus, my needs have changed from just gaming to now being in college full-time. I love asking questions so please bear with me. I am here to learn.

I am seeking a build that will sustain me while I progress as a computer science major. Therefore, I want this build to be a beast, but not an unnecessary beast, ya know? My budget is $1700 or so. Just the tower and nothing else. Don't worry about going over/lower either. I consider all recommendations.

CPU - Should I get Intel or AMD? I need it to handle multi-tasking. Is overclocking really that beneficial? Would I need it?
CPU cooler - I am uncomfortable with water-cooling. To know there is water in my computer has me on edge. However, if it is better than air, let me know.
MoBo - Ethernet is the way to go right? No WiFi still?
Memory - I feel like 16GB of DDR4 won't be enough. Is 32GB overkill? Also, do I need 3000? 2666? 3200? What's the difference?
Storage - Obviously a good SSD for the main programs and a good size HDD. Also, what is PCIe? Is it better?
GPU - Something good if I decide to game @ 4K w/ 60-80 FPS.
Case - Has excellent airflow, don't really care about RGB.
PSU - I'm guessing no more than 750?
Optical Drive - None of course, unless there any computer science majors out there that needs one.

Solution
In my years of experience, typically in this industry as long as there is worth of a product, prices do not drop usually. Neither did it happen with 1xxx series, nor is it likely to happen with 2xxx series. You can wait though if you want, never know when there is a first time with everything.
If the above build is above budget, here is a curtailed version...
Should serve you equally good. Just that you wont be able to max out @4k on every game...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | $419.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | $99.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS...
A bit over your budget, but since this is for college, you wont get the opportunity to upgrade for long, so its good to go for as much longevity as possible along with performance.
The best CPU currently for both gaming and non gaming tasks. 12 cores of high octane juice for those scientific and compute(this is usually both CPU and GPU bound) tasks. Its overclockable too, but you wont need to do that for a long time.
Best air cooler in the market to tame that beast. On par with any Tier 1 AIO.
A good quality feature rich board with good VRM and power cycles to keep those thermals in check. The wifi comes as an added advantage.
Ryzen performs better with faster RAM. 3600mhz is the sweet spot for this 3rd gen. of Ryzen CPUs. If you multitask a lot, then you will need 32gb.
Fast NVME storage for now. Add more storage later if you want.
The GPU can handle both compute tasks and 4k gaming easily.
High quality PSU and case with lots of air flow.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | $469.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $183.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $159.99 @ Newegg
Storage | HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $129.94 @ Amazon
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card | $663.98 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $79.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $114.99 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1932.81
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $1902.81
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 23:48 EST-0500 |

In my years of experience, typically in this industry as long as there is worth of a product, prices do not drop usually. Neither did it happen with 1xxx series, nor is it likely to happen with 2xxx series. You can wait though if you want, never know when there is a first time with everything.
If the above build is above budget, here is a curtailed version...
Should serve you equally good. Just that you wont be able to max out @4k on every game...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | $419.99 @ Walmart
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $183.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $159.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card | $509.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $114.99 @ B&H
| Total | $1698.82
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-01 05:33 EST-0500 |

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 28, 2020
A bit over your budget, but since this is for college, you wont get the opportunity to upgrade for long, so its good to go for as much longevity as possible along with performance.
The best CPU currently for both gaming and non gaming tasks. 12 cores of high octane juice for those scientific and compute(this is usually both CPU and GPU bound) tasks. Its overclockable too, but you wont need to do that for a long time.
Best air cooler in the market to tame that beast. On par with any Tier 1 AIO.
A good quality feature rich board with good VRM and power cycles to keep those thermals in check. The wifi comes as an added advantage.
Ryzen performs better with faster RAM. 3600mhz is the sweet spot for this 3rd gen. of Ryzen CPUs. If you multitask a lot, then you will need 32gb.
Fast NVME storage for now. Add more storage later if you want.
The GPU can handle both compute tasks and 4k gaming easily.
High quality PSU and case with lots of air flow.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | $469.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card | $663.98 @ Newegg
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1932.81
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $1902.81
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-29 23:48 EST-0500 |
A 2080S seems a bit much for a 1700$ build, you could save some cash there by going with a cheaper 2000 series like a 2070 (450-550$) that should put the build closer to your price range.

Ozzballz

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
I came to conclusion that I wouldn't mind getting one of the new 30 series GPUs if they were significantly better, but I like the second build @Hellfire13 recommended. I picked a different GPU and Case from that build.

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500

Quesiton,
Is Asus the #1 GPU manufacturer? I know I shouldn't buy parts based on design, but NVIDIA is eye candy to me. I've been researching on what's better, but I'm curious if I should approach this expecting biased opinions?

Last edited:
I came to conclusion that I wouldn't mind getting one of the new 30 series GPUs if they were significantly better, but I like the second build @Hellfire13 recommended. I picked a different GPU and Case from that build.

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500

Quesiton,
Is Asus the #1 GPU manufacturer? I know I shouldn't buy parts based on design, but NVIDIA is eye candy to me. I've been researching on what's better, but I'm curious if I should approach this expecting biased opinions?
NVidia is fine.