[SOLVED] Seeking Feedback to PC build

Mar 15, 2019
Heya!

I am currently looking to replace my current PC which I have been using for gaming for the last few years. Now I am interested in upgrading to the following build:
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro (https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...151-Dual-Channel-DDR4-ATX-Retail_1277024.html)
Processor: i5 9600k (https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-6x-3-70GHz-So-1151-WOF_1279958.html)
Fan: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/be-quiet--Dark-Rock-4_1237724.html)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM (Recommendations welcome, not sure which to use exactly)
PSU: (https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...2II-Bronze-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_638249.html)
Case: Possibly the Fractal Design R6, but I am still on the fence

I personally will be using my GTX 1070 in this build again. I have been using it in my old PC and am still happy with its performance.

I have the following questions:
Is this build sensible as it is? I have oriented myself by the site logical increments, but I wouldn't mind some changes if you have anything to add. What I have posted here is around the are of maybe 700€, but I wouldn't mind if that went to up to 800€. Obviously it is still excluding the GPU, as I will definitely just be using my old one.

If I wish to OC my CPU, which is something that I have no prior experience with, what should I consider? What new clockrate should I be aiming for and which Fan should I use? Is the Dark Rock 4 sufficient, should I change to the Dark Rock 4 PRO or maybe another fan entirely?

Lastly, my friend is looking to work with this same build, but is looking to use the RTX 2060S in it. Would you say that this GPU is a sensible choice? He is interested in specifically using a card from the RTX series, as he would like to use it for his work at his university. Is there anything to say to its use in gaming, or should he go for anything else?

Thank you very much for your time,
Rukk

Solution
I have oriented myself on logicalincrements.com. I am not too specific on the brand of CPU. The CPU specifically, though, is something where I would probably also be OK with spending more money if it means that I have something that holds up longer. Is the general consensus that it would make more sense to go for the Ryzen3600X, or maybe go for a more expensive CPU, whether Intel or AMD?
The main crooks of it is, whilst the 9600K holds marginally better gaming performance (and not in all cases) the Ryzen is usually the same price or cheaper, but also is substantially better in multitasking due to it's improved multicore performance and increased cores/threads.

So in effect, the Ryzen is better value in most cases...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What will be your main usage of the rig? Gaming only?
Any specific reason why you aren't considering Ryzen? I came to this debate previously and I opted for the 3600X as it was significantly better value for what you get.

As much as I love Seasonic, the S12II aren't their best, and there are better now, such as FOCUS, FOCUS Plus, Prime etc. which are all excellent.

Lastly, my friend is looking to work with this same build, but is looking to use the RTX 2060S in it. Would you say that this GPU is a sensible choice? He is interested in specifically using a card from the RTX series, as he would like to use it for his work at his university. Is there anything to say to its use in gaming, or should he go for anything else?
It's a great 1080p gaming GPU. Just needs the appropriate good quality PSU to suit.

Too many questions :)
If you keep your build, only thing I will change is MB, ASROCK Z390 Extreme 4 is my first choice, better OCing ability
Above has covered the PSU part :)
What is your major usage other than gaming? May pull something for you.
What is your friend's budget and monitor?

WildCard999

Titan
Price to performance I'd probably go Ryzen instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€204.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (€116.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€83.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€91.08 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €496.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 21:06 CEST+0200

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Reactions: PC Tailor

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, let me start with a few questions:

1. What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?
  2. Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    1. If it has FreeSync, what's the FreeSync range, and does it have LFC (Low Framerate Compensation)
  3. The monitor question will apply to your friend as well. This will allow us to make a better determination as to what is a suitable video card.
  4. Does it have to be an Intel CPU? Ryzen typically offers great a performance/price ratio. This will of course necessitate a different motherboard as well.
  5. The Seasonic S12II was a good PSU back in its day, but by today's standards, isn't that good in handling the way modern systems draw power. I would strongly suggest a Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME model, for example:
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

Mar 15, 2019
Alright! Massive feedback already, thank you!

I will try to answer as many questions as I can right now. I hope I don't miss too much.

Why not a Ryzen / Does it have to be Intel?
I have oriented myself on logicalincrements.com. I am not too specific on the brand of CPU. The CPU specifically, though, is something where I would probably also be OK with spending more money if it means that I have something that holds up longer. Is the general consensus that it would make more sense to go for the Ryzen3600X, or maybe go for a more expensive CPU, whether Intel or AMD?

What specs does your monitor have?
I am currently using a 1080p 80hz monitor which does not have any special features like FreeSync or GSync.
I wouldn't mind the ability to possibly go for 1440p at some point, but I am not interested in 4k gaming, as I do not feel like I have the budget to support that with the necessary hardware.
Same general thoughts also apply to my friends situation.

Any other uses than general gaming?
Mostly gaming, but we both are also interested in machine learning, planning to study it in the course of our time at Uni. If that plays into it at all, then I would like it to be considered. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it for much else in addition than maybe Photoshop or similar things.

What budget do you both have?
My friend would be OK with paying up to 1100€ or maybe even 1200€ for the whole computer. My budget would be pretty much the same, minus the money for the GPU, that is about 700€ to 800€.

Other stuff:
What I gather is that you all are pretty sure about choosing a different PSU. It seems to me like the SeaSonic FOCUS is a popular candidate here, so I will look into that. I wouldn't mind further feedback into that.

I also would love some input that might help decide between an Intel and AMD CPU. Is there anything else to be considered but raw power? As I said, I personally would not mind spending some more on the CPU if that might possibly make a significant difference, but this is something that I cannot really judge well.

Thank you for your time and your input!
Rukk

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The main crooks of it is, whilst the 9600K holds marginally better gaming performance (and not in all cases) the Ryzen is usually the same price or cheaper, but also is substantially better in multitasking due to it's improved multicore performance and increased cores/threads.

So in effect, the Ryzen is better value in most cases, because gaming performance wise, they're very very close, but the Ryzen is much better multicore. This is where machine learning may be important.

What I gather is that you all are pretty sure about choosing a different PSU. It seems to me like the SeaSonic FOCUS is a popular candidate here, so I will look into that. I wouldn't mind further feedback into that.
Yes, Seasonic are typically excellent units, just the S12II is out of its date really.

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $96.95
Also comes with a 10 year warranty. There are others to consider of course, Corsair RMx, Seasonic PRIME (even better than FOCUS but more expensive usually), EVGA SuperNOVA etc.

Reactions: WildCard999
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What specs does your monitor have?
I am currently using a 1080p 80hz monitor which does not have any special features like FreeSync or GSync.
I wouldn't mind the ability to possibly go for 1440p at some point, but I am not interested in 4k gaming, as I do not feel like I have the budget to support that with the necessary hardware.
Same general thoughts also apply to my friends situation.
80Hz? That's a kind of unusual refresh rate.

But... the question is when will the monitor upgrade happen? This is really more for your friend's case, since you already have a GTX 1070 - which should handle 80fps at 1920x1080 with ease, and, can reasonably average 2560x1440 around 60fps when you move on to such a monitor.

But for your friend - the 2060 Super would be overkill for the current monitor, assuming an identical monitor to yours. However, it would be an excellent match for a 2560x1440. The performance reviews for the 2060 Super and 2070 Super (along with a number of other cards) at 2560x1440 are on this page.

Any other uses than general gaming?
Mostly gaming, but we both are also interested in machine learning, planning to study it in the course of our time at Uni. If that plays into it at all, then I would like it to be considered. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it for much else in addition than maybe Photoshop or similar things.

This is not close to my area of expertise, but I suspect the greater thread-count of Ryzen CPUs would be of benefit for machine learning. Others have covered the topic of performance of the 9600K (which will also need a cooler, whereas all Ryzen CPUs come with one) in gaming and non-gaming scenarios with better detail than I could.

Mar 15, 2019
Alright, thank you!

I think you guys have cleared up most of my questions!

Two quick notes:
I have absolutely made a typo with the refresh rate! I definitely meant to type 60hz! But I guess that this information would be easy to work with, based on what else you said.

After researching some more, it would appear that the CPU is of close to no use for machine learning, that task rather being delegated to the GPU. As no one actually protested the 2060S that much, I guess it would be fine, then. I would love to upgrade myself to a card from the RTX line, but I don't think that with a 1070 it would justify the prize I would have to pay.

All around, I think I will look more at the CPUs from now. What would you guys say would be a sensible upgrade from the 9600k? Would it be worth it at all to go for an i7 instead? Or maybe a stronger CPU of the i5 line? I wouldn't mind paying more, but only if it would actually result in noticeable improvements over the other CPU.
Also, importantly, is the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 something that would allow me to overclock the i5 9600k if I were to go for it? If not, what should I consider what this is concerned?

Otherwise, I am really thankful for your help! Especially calling out the PSU! Unless anyone has much more commentary to give out, I think that I will take my time until end of this weekend and then order the necessary parts.

Thank you very much for your help!
Rukk