[SOLVED] Seeking for suggestion of motherboard for new PC

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

I'm prepared to build a new desktop PC for my newly purchased Dell 32" 4K Display U3219Q

Use of desktop PC - office use plus occasional graphic editing BUT NOT for GAMING

Configuration planned
=================
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM - ADATA 32GB Premier AD4S3200732G22-SGN DDR-4 3200MHz (1x32GB) SODIMM
Hard Disk - Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

I'm now searching for a motherboard, preferable ASUS, to match the AMD CPU with Display and HDMI ports, WiFi and Blue Tooth. I have no preset budget but not prepared purchasing the high-end product - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570.

Recommendation and suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Solution
You need to mention the apps that you're intending to tax the system with. Your build will also need to cater to those app's in the form of a GPU, since the processor doesn't have an iGPU or isn't an APU.

You can pair the R7 3700x with an A520 chipset board, for all I care and that will help save some money. It's also a good option if you aren't going to be overclocking the processor.

Lutfij

Titan
You need to mention the apps that you're intending to tax the system with. Your build will also need to cater to those app's in the form of a GPU, since the processor doesn't have an iGPU or isn't an APU.

You can pair the R7 3700x with an A520 chipset board, for all I care and that will help save some money. It's also a good option if you aren't going to be overclocking the processor.

Solution

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

OS - Ubuntu 20.04
Graphic editing - GIMP, Inkscape and Darktable

Before posting I have been searching a while, some ASUS motherboard without Display port, nor WiFi nor Blue Tooth.

Regards

Caution: RAM you chose (SO DIMM) won't fit into desktop motherboard -you need "normal" DIMM.
If you need 32GB, then you better decide for a pair of two 16GB sticks, which are usually sold as "kit" -otherwise RAM won't run in "dual channel" (speed) mode.
As for CPU, I think you made excellent decision: 3700X is perfect for what you plan to use your PC -also considering it's current price.
When looking for MoBo, you don't need to look only at those which have all features you wish onboard. For example: if some MoBo doesn't have wi-fi, but meets your needs perfectly otherwise, you can add wi-fi USB stick anytime later.

As Lutfij pointed out, a 3700X would require a dedicated graphics card as it doesn't include integrated graphics, so the video ports on the motherboard would not matter. If you only intend to use integrated graphics, you should look for a different CPU that has the feature.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.

I need AMD CPU provides graphic for my new 32" Dell 4K U3219Q display, not with a graphic card. I'll purchase 2x16G RAM kit. Maybe upgrade to 4x16G RAM kit. I have no idea whether I need 64 RAM. I'm running virtualization here.

Regarding ADM CPU how about;
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G
or
AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
or
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

WiFi is not important to me. I use wired connection to router. However I expect having Bluetooth feature for testing MS Bluetooth keyboard.

Advice would be appreciated.

Remark: NOT prepare overclocking the processor

Regards

Last edited: