Question Seeking help/advice: Gf's new build constantly crashing no BSOD, temps normal

Koma99

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016
Spec wise she went with the following:

Ryzen 7600x
H100i Elite CXapellix 75 240mm
ASrock B650 Micro ATX AM5
Kingston Fury Renegade 2x16 ddr5 6k, cl32
Asus Dual OC RTX 3060 8gb
Fractal Pop Air
Corsair CFX650f PSU
Artic silver thermal paste (have triple checked it is applied properly and the aio block is making good contact)
Basic samsung evo nvme 2tb for storage

According to PC parts picker system should be drawing around 420w on average, but i don't think its a power draw issue since 650 should be enough to cover any spikes considering its a fairly middle of the road build.

As she has told me and i've witnessed the PC will randomly shut off mid gameplay while she was trying to play Farthest frontier. It ran fine doing cinebench and star swarm benchmarkes. Yet while idle on desktop with only dicord open, nothing running that shouldn't be it will just shut off as if you turned off the power. No dump file either that she could find.
She & I both know computers but only to a certain degree, and I'm in a different part of the country to her atm so I can't physically check things but i will be relaying back and forth for her.

My first thought was thermals reaching a critical point and shutting down the PC, setting the CPU to eco mode did help bring temps down but its still running a bit hotter than either of us like. ~70c at idle. Case fans are configured dual intake at the front, rad and rear exhaust. GPU pulling in some cool air from the bottom front fan. Acording to her when it crashed on Farthest frontier CPU was at 73 and GPU in the mid 60s before it just shut off. Again no BSOD on any of the shutdowns.

I suspect a bad psu or mobo but i dont know the best way to test either, bios is up to date, ram isnt pulling more than what the board should be able to handle. Im kinda at a loss for what options to try next for her.

There's something very wrong with the idle temperature that's for sure. That leads me to believe there's something wrong with either the cooler or the way it's installed. Arctic Silver isn't all that great compared to modern alternatives, but it is definitely not to blame for the temps here. It sounds like the way the fans are positioned is good for the case so I don't think the temps are being impacted negatively by that.

I think that the temperatures are at the very least partly responsible for what's going on.

edit: Also make sure the connection on the 4+4 EPS for the CPU power on the motherboard is good.

Koma99

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2016
There's something very wrong with the idle temperature that's for sure. That leads me to believe there's something wrong with either the cooler or the way it's installed. Arctic Silver isn't all that great compared to modern alternatives, but it is definitely not to blame for the temps here. It sounds like the way the fans are positioned is good for the case so I don't think the temps are being impacted negatively by that.

I think that the temperatures are at the very least partly responsible for what's going on.

edit: Also make sure the connection on the 4+4 EPS for the CPU power on the motherboard is good.
The temps are higher than I would expect for sure. Especially with an AIO. I know that chip runs a bit hot but even it eco mode its warmer than my own rig (Ryzen 5 3600xt with stock wraith cooler, usually ~60c on idle) does. And i dont have near the same cooling with my case. Silver isn't great but i don't think its to blame.

I will have her check the 4x4 connection asap!