[SOLVED] seeking liquid-cooled AMD GPU

piranha45

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: $900. Cheap-but-substantial improvement is fine, but huge gpu for my next PC is also acceptable.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Skyrim with LOTS of TREES modded in. Whole forests. My current GPU seems to be the prime bottleneck; FPS drops horribly in forests.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Radeon 7870, ANTEC|TP-750 750W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: MOBO, CPU

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Really want a GPU with built-in liquid cooling, b/c fans are loud. If liquid cooling isn't feasible I might try extension cords so i can place my pc in a separate room.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Last edited:
Solution
So there are a few recommendations I can give you. If you realllly want an AMD gpu then the best on the market right now is the 5700XT (400$ USD). Currently the only out of the box water-cooled 5700 xt is the liquid devil, but it's meant for custom loops mostly.

If you want to get an AIO, you'll need to get this for it and install it yourself:
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...0-gpx-pro-amd-radeon-rx-5700/5700xt-m01-black

Alternatively, you have a lot of money to throw at a new Graphics card, for price-performance. You can go for a 2080 Super. The model in the link below is a triple fan custom design. It might not be quiet when on full usage but a triple fan...
So there are a few recommendations I can give you. If you realllly want an AMD gpu then the best on the market right now is the 5700XT (400$ USD). Currently the only out of the box water-cooled 5700 xt is the liquid devil, but it's meant for custom loops mostly.

If you want to get an AIO, you'll need to get this for it and install it yourself:
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...0-gpx-pro-amd-radeon-rx-5700/5700xt-m01-black

Alternatively, you have a lot of money to throw at a new Graphics card, for price-performance. You can go for a 2080 Super. The model in the link below is a triple fan custom design. It might not be quiet when on full usage but a triple fan config will keep it nice and cool. without the extra cost of an AIO on a card that doesn't have the same level of performance.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...rtp71-5Ny7UA9p-V3mhoC-wAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: piranha45
Solution
Your system will work with both AMD and Nvdia cards.

However your older mid range CPU will heavily limit modern cards, even mid range ones.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $194.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler | $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $68.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card | $409.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $99.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $927.94
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-04 11:34 EST-0500 |

Here would be my suggestion.

The RX5700xt pulse is not water cooled but a pretty quiet card thanks to a good design by Sapphire.

Pick up a new PSU since yours is dated.

Modded skyrim is going to use lots of video vram.
Your 7870, I think has only 2gb.
There are many 8gb cards out there like the 5700 or gtx2060 In the $400 range.
Nvidia or amd is irrelevant, both work equally well.
For $700 or so, you can buy a GTX1080ti with 11gb.
Less if you buy used.
Such a strong card is going to loaf and not require excessive cooling.