Seeking Motherboard for FX-8320 Overclocking

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hi, everyone. Back on Tom’s after about a year hiatus. My custom dual boot configuration worked perfectly btw. Now I am looking for a cheap mobo for overclocking. I am a a first timer so please stick with me.

Current Setup:
AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5 GHz (stock)
Hyper TX3 aftermarket Air Cooler
Biostar TA-970 (Ugly Yellow) <-- being replaced
SeaSonic 530 watt PSU
Windows 10 and 7 Dual Boot config
R7 370 2GB GDDR5 (Single Card)

I plan on taking the 8320 to around 4.0 GHz based on what I have read online about bulldozer overclocking performance.

First, is overclocking on a 970 really that bad of an idea? I know I should replace the Biostar board before even attempting any sort of serious OC, and I would rather not go through the process of getting everything reactivated by calling Microsoft.

Assuming I will need a higher quality board…

I have been doing a bit of research into motherboard chipsets recently. As far as I can tell the only differences I found between overclocking chipsets is the degree of crossfire support. I don’t need features found on 990FX chipsets. (I don’t plan on a crossfire setup in this build. Other minor enhancements are meaningless to me). A 990x chipset would be ideal so I know the VRMs will be satisfactory and I am not paying for needed features. I also know I should look for boards with large VRM heatsinks and good power phase specs for more stable power delivery.

My budget maxes out at $120 USD for the board

Based on all this I found these boards, but I can’t decide which is best:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 <- $109

GIGABYTE GA-990X-Gaming SLI (rev. 1.0) <- $95 but don’t know the power phase.

Right now I greatly prefer the Gaming SLI board over the other, but that is simply price and aesthetics. Which is better for overclocking?

Are there other boards I should consider instead?

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-Bahazbz

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

This is certainly an attractive option, jeffredo. Thanks for the advice! I will add this to the list.

I'll wait a few more days before I close the thread.

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Hello again, jeffredo. Nobody else responded so I plan on getting your suggested board. I did some more research on the vrm implementation on the MSI Gaming 990FX board and found it uses cheap "Nikos" brand vrms, which are apparently not high quality for overclocking. In addition to this fact I can't seem to locate any concrete information on the number of power phases that the board uses. Iv'e seen conflicting reports all around the web and the MSI site for this board does not list that specification.

I am mainly just OCing to get some experience with it in case I want to later, as my 8320 has never had problems with clock speed or single core performance anyway. So I wouldn't want to compromise my system's lifespan with vrms that run hot or deliver unstable power.

Let me know if this info changes your mind at all. Otherwise I'm taking your word for it. Ill be pulling the trigger on newegg in the morning. Thanks again!

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
If you can find a used ASUS Sabertooth for that $120, I'd try that. I think retail is still around $180 on those boards, which I can't understand at this point in the game. I have an r.1 version and it's been rock solid since 2007 and being replaced only because I think I "need" a new AM4 build.

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

I would love to have a board like the Sabertooth, but it is slightly outside my meager budget and includes a ton of features I just don't need. Thanks for the response though anyway, Ditt44.

I'll be buying the 990FX gaming that jeffredo suggested. Quick question though, does a mail in rebate that requires you to cut the box void the boards warranty in any way?

Bahazbz

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Got the new board and installed with zero issues. I went with the MSI GAMING 990FX w/ sale and mail-in rebate. Got the last one in stock!

The board is beautiful, but runs hotter than I would expect from such and expensive MOBO. Haven't done any temp checks yet but I'd say at least 5 degrees C warmer at idle than the TA970.

I'm now up and running and ready to OC, I will let you guys know how that goes considering my already higher than expected temps and my relative inexperience.

Thanks to everyone that helped!
-Bahazbz