Seeking quality mother board for Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

mike_s

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi! I need some advice!

I've been looking for a motherboard for a new system I'm going to be building with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and an EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Graphics Card. I'd like to get a motherboard that can support DDR3 Ram (and SLI for the graphics card), but I'd also like to find a motherboard for preferably under a $100...but definitely under $150 (really like to stay under a $100).

Anyway, the're so many motherboard choices out there, yet I've been unable to find any information on a really GOOD quality motherboard.

If anyone could offer suggestions and advice I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

Mike

Why DDR3 RAM? A Core2 CPU cannot take full advantage of the DDR3 capabilities.

If you want SLI (as opposed to CrossFire), you are limited to nVidia chipsets. That alone goes a long way toward eliminating possibilities.

Go to newegg, search on Intel LGA775 motherboards, then search on the nforce 700 north bridge. Within your price limits you have 11 choices. If you want full X16 X 2 SLI, you have about 5 or 6 choices.

None are DDR3.

According to the newegg ad, it doesn't.

Twoboxer, that would be my first choice also. But I just wanted to winnow down the choices so he could choose.

mike_s

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Thank you guys!! Totally COOL!!!! :D ...I didn't realize the Core2Duo wasn't really made for the DDR3, I guess I just assumed it was, lol. Though, no big deal ;).

In which case I'll set my sights on DDR2, though...yeah the SLI (assuming SLI is what I think it is) is kind of important.

Did I miss anything? Well, I'll probably be posting again later today...until then I'll be checking out Newegg for the LGA775 boards with the specs you suggest, JSC! :)

Thanks again!

Oh, and now that DDR2 is the memory I'll be looking at, eh...what would you guys suggest...for memory?

Yup, jsc, I got it. I probably would have done the same. But despite the perfect lead in, he came up with a board not one of the 11.

I was afraid he might actually buy it.

mike_s

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Eh, I'm a little confused Twoboxer...which one were you afraid I might buy?