[SOLVED] Seeking RAID 1 recommendations

Involute

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'm starting to shoot a lot of video. I'd like to archive it to an external RAID 1. Any make/model recommendations in the 8TB (per disk) range? Ones where the RAID has actually had to do its job due to a disk failure would be especially appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
After further research I decided to get one of these with two 8GB drives. Apparently it can clone one drive to the other at the press of a button without incurring any PC overhead. I prefer a USB 3.0 connection instead of Ethernet since it’s nominally 5x the speed, so no NAS.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm starting to shoot a lot of video. I'd like to archive it to an external RAID 1. Any make/model recommendations in the 8TB (per disk) range? Ones where the RAID has actually had to do its job due to a disk failure would be especially appreciated. Thanks.
A prebuilt NAS box. Preferably 4 bay.
QNAP, Synology, Thecus.

I have a QNAP TS-453a. Has served flawlessly for 3 years, 24/7.
There are newer models with similar capabilities.
Obtain and configure drives as you need.

NOTE: The "RAID 1" is not a backup.
RAID 1 only protects against physical drive fail, not all the other means of data loss.
A real backup is 2 or more copies of the actual data.

popatim

Titan
Cheapest 2 bay nas capable of raid1:
https://www.newegg.com/synology-ds218j/p/N82E16822108688?Item=N82E16822108688

Are you looking for USB attached storage? then porbably a WD MyBook Duo 16TB - it will come in as raid0 with two 8tb drives and you will need the WD utility to change it to raid 1.

IMO, you are better off getting two individual 8tb drives and making a second copy of your data. This eliminates the "single device" failure point. (ex: nearby lightning strike surge fries the Duo and both drive inside it) Feel free to skip this if you already have another backup copy of the data.

Last edited:

Involute

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
After further research I decided to get one of these with two 8GB drives. Apparently it can clone one drive to the other at the press of a button without incurring any PC overhead. I prefer a USB 3.0 connection instead of Ethernet since it’s nominally 5x the speed, so no NAS.

Solution