Seeking removable media storage

doniel1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Many years ago, I had an Iomega backup drive that used removable tape cartridges. Is there anything comparable (but with way larger capacity) available today?

Solution
I use those slim drives all the time for clients backups. Never had an issue.

Its either an expensive NAS which is what an iomega is, or just purchase a USB external and backup directly to that which is 100% cheaper and a very validate backup method.

Now if you just want an iomega case with a hard drive in it. You can get something like this for cheap but it doesn't have a raid and its more bulky then a slim portal hard drive...

https://www.ebay.com/i/222191364441?chn=ps
What are you using it for?

You could aways get a docking station and just use a standard HHD or purchase a hotswappable 3.5 HHD bay for your PC.

Or if you want to go crazy, get a NAS. I personally use either Synology, Netgear or WD NAS's for a backup target, then have a USB drive connected to the NAS that gets backups pushed it to and rotate the USB drives for off site storage.

doniel1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Like you, I want to do backups. But compared to removable media (such as whatever today's equivalent of a tape cartridge would be), a USB drive is expensive. At least, I think it is. I could only make such a determination if I could compare that to an Iomega-like solution.

Thank you for your reply.

doniel1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but I'd still prefer the kind of solution I've been describing, if there is such a thing.

And I'll never buy a Seagate again. Some 25 years ago, two Seagate hard drives conked out on me right after their stingy 1-year warranties ran out. As the Internet was still in its infancy, I had to write Seagate by snail mail. They never even bothered to respond.

I use those slim drives all the time for clients backups. Never had an issue.

Its either an expensive NAS which is what an iomega is, or just purchase a USB external and backup directly to that which is 100% cheaper and a very validate backup method.

Now if you just want an iomega case with a hard drive in it. You can get something like this for cheap but it doesn't have a raid and its more bulky then a slim portal hard drive...

https://www.ebay.com/i/222191364441?chn=ps

Solution

doniel1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I'm coming around. I'm looking at the WD - My Passport Ultra 4TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Gray-black.

I'm also considering a 4TB USB flash drive.

Any thoughts?

Passports are just fine as well. Used them many times.

I wouldn't use a USB flash drive, external hard drives seem to be more stable as a backup medium from my experience. Plus if the drive was to ever crash, it is easier to recover data from a mechanical hard drive then it is a flash drive.

doniel1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I don't think I ever saw this reply or I'd have acknowledged it. I did indeed buy a 4TB Passport. Thanks again for all your help.