Question Seeking the groups approval or suggestions on my 2nd build.

Spazzo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2016
Hi guys, This community was very helpful in advising me on my very first build several years ago. A lot has changed in the last 5 years, so I'm ready for my second build and I wanted to run my initial parts list by those more knowledgeable than I am. I would appreciate any suggestions.

This will be my everyday computer, mostly used for high end 1440p gaming (WOW, Call of Duty, all on ultra settings if possible) while streaming my game play. Other than that, just a lot of multi tasking while watching movies, etc. using 4 monitors. Nothing too intense. I left out the GPU on the list because with all the latest technology I really have no idea. I would like to stick with Nvidia though. I'm currently using a GTX 1080 Ti. I tend to upgrade to a new rig every 5-6 years, so I'm trying to future proof it as best I can for the next 5 years.

I actually chose the CPU based on price and didn't do much research. If you recommend a better option, let me know. I prefer to stick with Intel. I also read somewhere that 32 GB of RAM will soon be the minimum, so I went with 64 GB. If 64 is overkill, I can go back to 32 and up the speed to 7200.

My target date to start purchasing the parts is the end of July. My GPU budget is $400-$600, maybe a little more if the bang for the buck is worth it. The overall computer budget is open, but trying to keep it reasonable. I have a Microcenter within a couple of miles so I can jump on any last minute deals.

Thank you guys!

if you want upgradability, definitely go for AM5. AMD also has the performance crown now. It runs cooler and draws less power.

I would suggest you to get the X870 mobo that is launching in July. USB 4.0 connectivity.

The 990 pro does not offer you much for the price premium. The MP44 gets the job done with decent performance for much less.

for 2k gaming, I would suggest the 4070ti Super.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Lc...16-gb-video-card-rtx-4070-ti-super-16g-expert

You dont need a 1000W for 7900X3D and a 4070ti Super combo.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III A-RGB 48.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $998.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-11 15:49 EDT-0400

Last edited:
I would be more apt to do something along these lines. The X3D are better for gaming typically than the Intel counterparts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor ($352.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.47 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE ATX AM5 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($148.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($148.75 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1488.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-11 14:52 EDT-0400

g-unit1111

Titan
if you want upgradability, definitely go for AM5. AMD also has the performance crown now. It runs cooler and draws less power.

I would suggest you to get the X870 mobo that is launching in July.

The 990 pro does not offer you much for the price premium. The MP44 gets the job done with decent performance for much less.

for 2k gaming, I would suggest the 4070ti Super.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Lc...16-gb-video-card-rtx-4070-ti-super-16g-expert

You dont need a 1000W for 7900X3D and a 4070ti Super combo.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor ($352.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III A-RGB 48.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1262.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-11 14:42 EDT-0400

You also don't need 64GB of RAM for gaming, and why such poor quality SSDs?

Spazzo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2016
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your expertise, and I'm taking notes on all the posts.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at building. I find an online build video using similar parts as me and follow that, learning as I go. Is there any difference I should be aware of in building AMD vs. Intel, besides using the AMD compatible parts?

I guess you really have to be careful what you read online. My understanding was that the 990 Pro was a solid choice with superior performance. I will consider the suggestions in the above posts, but why do you say that the 990 Pro is poor quality?

logainofhades

Titan
32gb is still plenty. 64gb really isn't necessary. Personally, unless you need a build right now, I would wait until Ryzen 9000 releases next month. I cannot see your build, as work blocks imgur. Please put together your build using PCPP.

Reactions: 35below0
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your expertise, and I'm taking notes on all the posts.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at building. I find an online build video using similar parts as me and follow that, learning as I go. Is there any difference I should be aware of in building AMD vs. Intel, besides using the AMD compatible parts?

I guess you really have to be careful what you read online. My understanding was that the 990 Pro was a solid choice with superior performance. I will consider the suggestions in the above posts, but why do you say that the 990 Pro is poor quality?

I did not say that the 990 pro is poor quality, it is just not worth the asking price.

The pro series are aimed at prosumers who need the highest sustained performance and endurance. And you pay a hefty premium for it.

The main difference with Ryzen is that it needs low latency and fast rams. 6000mhz CL30 or 6400mhz CL32 or better.

The Ryzen 9000 series will not beat the 7900X3D when it comes to gaming performance. If you want to wait and upgrade, get the 9900X3D instead.

The 990 Pro is a fine drive but you can do better price/performance wise.

g-unit1111

Titan
64gb as requested by OP cuz he got multiple apps open in the background with 4 monitors.

MP44 review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/teamgroup-mp44-ssd-review/2

Its a bit worse compared to SN850X and better than P5 plus. for the asking price, its a great bang for buck product.

It's honestly worth the extra $10 for the P5 or $20 for the SN850X. You don't have to populate every single M2 slot on the motherboard, either. Storage is one of those things that's entirely up to the buyer as to how much they actually need and what they will use it for. You also don't want to go too cheap on the drive either, and risk failure.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I see nothing wrong with 2x32GB right now. A bit overkill, but doing 4 memory sticks is tricky, and this eliminates that need for a good while and by then quad sets may be ea

I've yet to try an MP44 but have been recommending it here and there on budget builds. I do have some Crucial drives, no issues yet. Only failed SSD I had is actually a Samsung 960 Evo. Not that that says anything it worked for 5 years. I have several other Samsung drives still working. Also have a Sabrent in my main gaming rig at the moment.

For video capture I think the secondary drive can be almost anything, just treat it like it could die any day and if you want to preserve stuff, consider an external backup drive or NAS.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
You also don't need 64GB of RAM for gaming, and why such poor quality SSDs?
MP44L is probably the best value. they are not bad at all. DRAMless yeah, but that's not a big deal.

990 Pro is excellent. It costs a lot though. You can get more terabytes with cheaper drives BUT you have to be careful and buy cheaper but still reliable, and avoid dirt cheap and worthless.

There's no AMD-compatible parts other than motherboards.

As for 64 Gb RAM, you will most likely not hit 20Gb RAM usage. In the coming years that figure may climb closer and closer to 32Gb. At that point you should sell your 32Gb kit and buy a 64Gb kit.
If you buy a 64Gb kit today, it will cost money, you will not use it, and a few years from now better DDR5 kits will be available. The only loss is the value of your 32Gb kit. You can go either way. I have 64 Gb and i use 12 on a bad day... :rolleyes:

Also, 14700K is an improvement over it's 13th gen cousin. (but not worth paying a much higher price for one)

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Here's a build, $1124 without a GPU. $1674 with a Radeon 7900GRE.

32Gb of RAM, one fast, superior NVMe for OS/reinstalls, one higher capacity storage/gaming NVMe.
Lighning is a good z790 motherboard. Upgradeable to a 14900K, but i don't think that will happen. Probably it will be fine for the next 5-6 years. An AM5 build would be more upgradeable, CPU-wise.

Only reason i chose that particular 7900GRE is because it's shorter in length.

This will be good for 1440p, maybe not Ultra for every game, but for a lot of them (need a 4070Ti Super at least for that.. The target refresh rate hasn't been mentioned though! Big difference between driving 60Hz and 144Hz or higher.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 6 Dual Fan 60.29 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Lightning WiFi ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($123.20 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Steel Legend OC Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Light Tint ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX GX-750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1673.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-12 09:00 EDT-0400

64Gb kit: The Mushkin Lumina suggested already by Jeremy - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pk...32-gb-ddr5-6400-cl32-memory-mla5c640bggp32gx2

RTX 4070 Ti Super (~$800): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jm...ti-super-16-gb-video-card-vcg4070ts16tfxpb1-o

g-unit1111

Titan
The only drawback i see with the MP44 is the DRAM less design. But otherwise, the SN850X is indeed better - for 30 USD more.

Yeah in this case, it's worth it. At least for the primary drive. The only reason you have matching drives is for RAID configurations, but on a gaming rig, that's pretty pointless and a huge pain to setup that's not really worth the effort.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
^ By primary drive, you mean the game drive I hope. OS drive does not need all that random read write performance.
Usually you will want the drive that you have your OS/Applications installed on to be the faster drive. Right now there is little difference between a SATA SSD and PCIe 5 NVMe in gaming. This will change as more and more companies use the direct storage, however, PCIe 3 and PCIe 5 drives will still be nearly equal in gaming performance for at least 5 years I think.

Usually you will want the drive that you have your OS/Applications installed on to be the faster drive. Right now there is little difference between a SATA SSD and PCIe 5 NVMe in gaming. This will change as more and more companies use the direct storage, however, PCIe 3 and PCIe 5 drives will still be nearly equal in gaming performance for at least 5 years I think.

If we are talking about content creation build, yes. The faster drive should fetch the app and read data.

Steam + games + gaming apps in the faster drive and OS in a separate drive with other softwares.

the OS drive does not really need that much performance unless you are a power user.

^ this setup keeping in mind that we are talking about MP44 and SN850X. But otherwise, yes, OS on the fastest drive.

g-unit1111

Titan
If we are talking about content creation build, yes. The faster drive should fetch the app and read data.

Steam + games + gaming apps in the faster drive and OS in a separate drive with other softwares.

the OS drive does not really need that much performance unless you are a power user.

^ this setup keeping in mind that we are talking about MP44 and SN850X. But otherwise, yes, OS on the fastest drive.

Do you have actual data that shows this? I've never seen any SSD benchmarks make that claim.

Do you have actual data that shows this? I've never seen any SSD benchmarks make that claim.

I think you might have misunderstood a bit. Can we agree on 'performance hit will be minimal between MP44 and SN850X' if the drive is used as OS boot disk?

for video editing and rendering, storage read write speeds can be a bottleneck in some cases.

for example, from pugeot systems:

What storage configuration works best in Premiere Pro?​

We recommend at least a three drive configuration, with the drive types and sizes depending on your budget and desired performance level:

1. OS & Applications (SSD or NVMe) – Includes your operating system and the base Premiere Pro installation. An SSD is highly recommended as it will greatly improve how fast the OS and programs startup, but you can also upgrade to a faster NVMe drive for a small performance benefit.
  2. Project Files (SSD, NVMe or NAS) – Keeping the project files and assets on their own drive is mostly about organization, but it does also make things easier if you ever need to either restore or reinstall your operating system. Since all the important files are on their own drive, they should be safe even if your OS becomes corrupt. In many cases, you can use either an SSD or NVMe drive for your project files, with the difference coming down to your budget and whether you need it in order to handle the bitrate of your source media for your workflow. A high-speed network storage drive is also an option, especially if you need to share access with other users in an organization.
  3. Media Cache & Scratch (NVMe) – The drive that we most highly recommend defaulting to an NVMe drive is for the cache/scratch files, but even then a standard SATA SSD can certainly get the job done if using an NVMe would put you over budget. Having a dedicated drive for your media cache and scratch files can improve performance when playing and scrubbing through compositions. It also isolates high-stress cache and scratch files away from other data, so that if they cause the drive to fail prematurely all you lose is temporary data that your applications can easily regenerate as needed.
  4. Optional Storage Drives (SSD or HDD) – In addition to the three drives above, some people also opt to add a number of other drives to their system. It may be multiple drives for their project files and assets, or a traditional HDD to act as an intermediate backup/archival layer before copying the data to an external drive or to an offsite backup.

g-unit1111

Titan
I think you might have misunderstood a bit. Can we agree on 'performance hit will be minimal between MP44 and SN850X' if the drive is used as OS boot disk?

for video editing and rendering, storage read write speeds can be a bottleneck in some cases.

Yeah except this is a gaming rig, not a video editing rig. And that might have been the case back in the days of mechanical and SATA HDs, but most M2s have very similar read - write specs and use the same controllers. Yes, performance will be minimal in terms of difference, but I'd much rather pay the extra $20 the better drive, you don't want to get a cheap one and have it fail on you.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
...I'd much rather pay the extra $20 the better drive, you don't want to get a cheap one and have it fail on you.
I have to agree. Much wiser to spend on reliability than to look at speed. They're all fast, but are they reliable?
It's very wise NOT to cut a few corners and save a small amount of money. It may seem like a lot to spend an extra $40-50 on a NVMe or PSU, but if you stretch that amount over just 3-4 years, it becomes trivial.

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
I have to agree. Much wiser to spend on reliability than to look at speed. They're all fast, but are they reliable?
It's very wise NOT to cut a few corners and save a small amount of money. It may seem like a lot to spend an extra $40-50 on a NVMe or PSU, but if you stretch that amount over just 3-4 years, it becomes trivial.

Yes, exactly. It may be tempting to go for the cheaper drive, but you could be paying for it down the road in more ways than one. When it comes to storage, just like PSUs, it's always better to play it safe and stick with the known and proven brands, like Samsung, WD, Seagate, and so on.