Nov 23, 2011
Hello Everyone,
My current computer spec is:
*Asus P5B
*E6600 @ 2.4Ghz
* Geforce 7950GT 512Mb
* 2GBRam 800Mhz
* 450W

I know its old, got it for 6 years by far, & I will be upgrading to a new PC, but now - I want to upgrade this one.
I want a new graphic card that can run the last 4 years of games in a very good way, & that can run the new games in a fine-ish way.
So, What I need help from you is this:
1. Upgrade my Graphic Card
2. Upgrade my RAM & if needed, replace the whole thing with new. (to 4GB)
3. I'm using Windows 7 32-Bit, should I move to 64-Bit after the RAM Upgrade?

My budget is.. I don't know to put my finger on, 'cause its different budget in my country so I donno, but 200$ - 300$, & even less, I don't think I need anything really strong to get things right.

Thanks A LOT in advance!

Solution
The HD5770 and HD6770 are in fact the same card. The specific model doesn't matter all that much. The main difference is the cooler and the card is rather low power/heat so cooling isn't all that important.
The current Nvidia equivalent in terms of performance is the GTX 550 Ti but it is usually overpriced in comparison.
I highly recommend you reconsider about overclocking the CPU.

Gamer-Emperor

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Well, actually I wasn't planning on doing a Full-On upgarde.
I think I was misleading, sry about that.
I just want a small upgrade to the video card so it can run the games from 2008 to 2010-11 smooth.

I don't mess around with overclocking, never liked it, & I need to buy cooling to start it, I rather not.
I'm willing to buy 2GB of Ram - do I need anything special \ specific? I got 2GB 800Mhz I don't know if its DDR2 \ 3 \ whatever.

& my other thing to upgarde other then RAM, is the Video Card - I'm with a 26" screen - 1920 x 1080.

A better card will certainly help but your processor is too weak for a lot of current games. Overclocking it up to 3ghz can be done on the stock cooler. It is safe and not particularly hard to do. Spend $20-30 on a cooler and you can get it up to 3.5ghz or so. It's really what you should do unless you can afford to replace the cpu/motherboard/ram altogether, which isn't within your budget.
If you aren't going to OC then I guess something like an HD5770/6770 is the best you should bother with. If you do give it a nice OC then consider an HD6850/70 or GTX 460.

Gamer-Emperor

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Some fast answering, thanks man. :)
I don't think I want to go with the OC, Tried it in the past & it wasn't for me really.

So I'm thinking on what ur saying, the HD5770 or 6770.
Well, I'm clueless really, what's better?
I see many versions of them both, could you recommend anything specific?

And - Geforce is not an option if not overclocked? I usually prefer Geforce - dosen't really matter really but, anything you can recommend at that same class as the HD5770/6770?

Thanks man, You really are helpful. mean it

The HD5770 and HD6770 are in fact the same card. The specific model doesn't matter all that much. The main difference is the cooler and the card is rather low power/heat so cooling isn't all that important.
The current Nvidia equivalent in terms of performance is the GTX 550 Ti but it is usually overpriced in comparison.
I highly recommend you reconsider about overclocking the CPU.

Solution

Gamer-Emperor

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I might reconsider, but for now:
Well, Iv'e read about the GTX550 & it says it handles higher resolution better then the HD6770, & actually Its not alot higher in price - really. but is it really that better? Iv'e got 1920 x 1080 resolution.
What do you think about this:
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3799#sp
It's factory OC which is always good right? & It's not that high in price.

& the other option (thx to you) that I managed to think about is this:
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6770_DC2DI1GD5/

And for the RAM - What do I need? replace the whole 2GB i got with new 4GB or just add 2? cause Iv'e got 2Gb 800mhz - not sure if DDR 2 \ 3 \ whatever..

Thanks again - We are making progress hehe

I don't know where you got that from but it is not true. The opposite if anything.
For the RAM you want DDR2. If you have free slots then just get 2 more gigs of the same speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.