[SOLVED] Seeking Very Quiet, Long-Lasting Case Fans - How About These?

Solution
It's an impressive claim to be sure, but they do only back it up with a 3-year warranty, when both Noctua and Arctic offer 6-years, and Corsair offers 5.

I should also point out that sleeve and FDB fans tend to last shorter if mounted horizontally (blowing up or down) instead of vertically, because there is less bearing surface that way against gravity (hard disks with FDB do not seem to have this issue). The exceptions include those Noctuas and the mentioned Corsairs with magnet-suspended bearings, as the thrust surface is kept from touching on startup.

Just as with your car engine where ~90% of wear is from cold starts when there is no oil yet, FDB wear is mostly right as it starts spinning too when still resting on the...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i actually have 4 of those in my case and they are nice and quiet. probably not that exact model since i built it a couple years ago but the artic f14's.

think i bought them as a 4 pack at about the same $6 apiece if i recall right. i can turn all 4 of them to 100% and it's barely a whisper. just the sound of all the air itself moving around the case rather than the any noise the fans are making.

Reactions: 1Reality1

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience with them.
I spent some time and researched the F14 PWM PSTs and find them as good as most, based on the info from various sources I found - not to mention at a good price. If they don't work out for some reason, they'll be an easy replacement. However, I think they'll be just fine.

So is this the classic, "wait for someone who backs up my opinion, whilst trying to look like I'm asking for an opinion" post?

If you want to know if they are OK, then ask that question, don't ask a question that implies that you are looking for the holy grail of fans, high quality, low noise and durable (you forgot airflow which is the point of a fan).

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016

Apparently you misread the title of my post: "Seeking Very Quiet, Long-Lasting Case Fans - How About These?".
While I value any pertinent information anyone wishes to give along the lines of the discussion at hand, he was the only one that responded to the actual question of the title.
Deliberately misconstruing my words to make it sound as if I am, as you said, "... looking for the holy grail of fans ...", is not only misleading, but disingenuous and dishonest. There's no need to tell me how to, or not to post, when I haven't done a single thing other than stick to the topic I began. Good day to you

The PWM Arctic F-series are perhaps the best of the budget quiet fans, in many tests being more efficient (that is, more airflow when adjusted for the same noise) than far more expensive fans. Unlike the old Panaflos, they seem to be consistently quiet and it's rare to get a bad (noisy) one. Truly a great deal for 5 or 6 bucks.

However until a few years ago, they specified a lifespan of only 30,000 hours--exactly the same as a sleeve bearing fan. FDB is just a sleeve bearing sealed in an oil bath, often with grooves intended to pump the oil around, and so the lifespan is primarily dependent on the quality of the seals. They no longer list a lifespan in their technical specs, likely because it's too embarrassingly low. But it is just as long as those expensive Scythe sleeve fans (though you can oil a plain sleeve bearing).

For comparison, the >$20 Be Quiet! fans are even more efficient and are rated 10x as long: 300,000 hours (34 years!).
Noctua fans are supposed to have less clicking noises than other PWM fans when set to very low RPMs, and are rated >150,000 hours.
Plain old ball-bearing fans last ~60,000 hours but do get noisier/rattlier over time. They are far less likely to silently stop than sleeve or FDB fans because when they start to go, the squealing will warn you!

The sleeve bearings in your car engine can last a long time because they float on a pressurized film of oil, and despite seeing more load and revs will generally last much longer than the roller or ball bearings in the wheels which are only greased. When wheel bearings fail, they squeal or rumble too.

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016

Those do look quite nice; so slim too.

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016

That's definitely informative! Thank you for the information. I'll definitely take it into consideration the whenever I next need some case fans. The [<$20] Be Silent! fans are rated at 300k hours? That's ... impressive.

It's an impressive claim to be sure, but they do only back it up with a 3-year warranty, when both Noctua and Arctic offer 6-years, and Corsair offers 5.

I should also point out that sleeve and FDB fans tend to last shorter if mounted horizontally (blowing up or down) instead of vertically, because there is less bearing surface that way against gravity (hard disks with FDB do not seem to have this issue). The exceptions include those Noctuas and the mentioned Corsairs with magnet-suspended bearings, as the thrust surface is kept from touching on startup.

Just as with your car engine where ~90% of wear is from cold starts when there is no oil yet, FDB wear is mostly right as it starts spinning too when still resting on the bottom. The rated life is likely for continuous operation.

Solution

1Reality1

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
UPDATE;
Bought several of the Arctic F14 fans back in March 2018, for the build done at thst time. The original ones placed in the case are still there and there's still a full 5-pack, untouched and waiting for their day.
As far as the quietude of their design goes, it's really great. There may be ones that are rated slightly better in this regard, but when I already can barely hear anything, when trying to hear them, three feet away, it's perfect enough for me.
Definitely see where there are ones that move air more effectively, though, for the price, they're quite amazing 👏

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have used a ton of case fans some nice (noctua, corsair, artics) and some no name brand junk cheap fans. now the junk fans might have less airflow, 10% nosier, but literally I don't think I have ever had a case fan die. (not saying it don't happen).

However I have built several systems over the years for me and family.

never once I have seen a case fan just stop working that I can remember.

I would just pick the ones you like, and you can always replace them later. (I have used over 20 + of these artic fans no issues ever)