[SOLVED] Seeming Random Shut-offs, can't identify culprit

Sep 2, 2019
I'm in a tight spot. My computer has been randomly shutting off and re-booting for perhaps the past year.

When it first started it was only during video games, but rarely. Now it is occurring during all manner of use. Gaming, idling, surfing the web, etc.

The computer will shut down straight to black screens and automatically reboot. No BSOD, no warning of any kind.

I have changed my PSU and a bad hard drive that I think got messed up through all the shutting off. Thought that would fix it, no dice.

Nothing appears to be over-heating according to CPUID HWMonitor. CPU is water cooler. All fans are running fine. I can't find any reason for the crashes in the Event Viewer.

I'm at a total loss. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Specs:
ASUS Maximus VII Gene
Intel Core i7 4790k
EVGA GTX 970
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (running OS)
Seagate 2TB internall HDD (data)
16gb RAM (not certain of specs)
Corsair CX550 PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Do you have lots of fans and peripherals? Are your CPU and GPU overclocked? I would suspect that it was the RAM if I was a betting man, otherwise, that 550w power supply seems underpowered. There are many ways to check RAM but the fastest and easiest would be to leave only 1 stick in (minimum of a 4-8gb stick) and see if the problem still occurs. If it does try a different stick in the same slot until you have tried all the sticks in all the slots. You can also run a mem test but if you use the windows one make sure it passes at least 5 passes.
Do you have lots of fans and peripherals? Are your CPU and GPU overclocked? I would suspect that it was the RAM if I was a betting man, otherwise, that 550w power supply seems underpowered. There are many ways to check RAM but the fastest and easiest would be to leave only 1 stick in (minimum of a 4-8gb stick) and see if the problem still occurs. If it does try a different stick in the same slot until you have tried all the sticks in all the slots. You can also run a mem test but if you use the windows one make sure it passes at least 5 passes.

Solution
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks for the recommendations. I have two case fans along with the water cooling.
No overclocking.
I'll give the RAM a test. I was wondering about the 550w, but it ran just fine for years and years on the 500w that I just replaced.
Not many peripherals. I have an audio interface, a hard drive that has an AC adapter, and mouse/keyboard.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since you've already eliminated the most obvious (the PSU), and since a failing HDD has also been eliminated, your gfx card would be next IMO. The RAM is another (as Helper 800 suggested). After that, it's trial and error by replacing components. Might even be the board, a bad cable, foreign object under the board... etc.

Reactions: helper800