Seemingly lost half the data on my PC

MoonstormX13

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I was converting a video from MKV to MP4 (Which I do almost every day) and surfing the internet using Firefox. Everything was as it should be at the time, but things were moving rather slow. Slower than normal when converting, at least. I left to check on the animals and when I came back, all the icons on my desktop were gone and the PC said it couldn't find my desktop. My Firefox data (bookmarks, history) was all gone. My documents and my downloads were empty and I suddenly gained about 200 Gigs worth of space. I ran a crucial scan with Bitdefender and it said all was well. I restarted and now I have the folders back, but they are all empty. My firefox data is still gone and I have seemingly lost many Program files as well. Not everything is gone, though.

I appear to have all my pictures and I have some games and files, but not others. I was downloading an old anime via torrent (trusted site, uploader and files were scanned clean) and that is just about the only thing left in my Downloads. My Documents has been all but wiped out, leaving only a few folders, but, annoyingly, nothing I actually cared about.

I checked the restore points and it said I have none, which shouldn't be.

I am currently running a scan with MalewareBytes, and it doesn't seem to be detecting anything, so far.

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?

In File Explorer, click the Tools menu then View and Folder Options ands if Do Not Show Hidden Files has a mark in the radio button, change that to Show on the next line down in case they're only hidden.