Seemingly Low performance after CPU upgrade

Dec 26, 2018
I have recently upgraded cpu from i3 7100 to i5 7600 and have been getting really bad performance when i tried running some games. the cpu temp doesn't seem to bad with the stock cooler at around 50 - 60 degrees i have a 550w psu which should be plenty. interestingly (i don't know if this has anything to do with it) CPU-Z says the clock speed is 3.9ghz when the cpus clock speed according to the manufacturer should be 3.5ghz, 3.9 was the old clock speed of the i3. anyone know why this is.

Solution
Clean install of windows? (Do that on a spare drive or SSD if you got so you can easily switch back) This will help you rule out software installation problems, OS corruptions, etc.
Dec 26, 2018
okay so i have updated my bios from version 0302 to 1205 and it hasn't made any difference to performance so how do i go about reinstalling windows ( bare in mind i have no spare drives)

before you re-install windows, remove all ram except the one stick in the A1 slot and boot up for a minute or two - it will force windows to resample everything in the system
then shut down, re-install all your ram and see what happens

if you do go the route of re-installing windows, you should wipe the disk in disk management first -

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
It is better to get another blank disk/SSD to install windows on, so if you are back to same situation, you know it is not software, and you can just switch back to your old disk and not have lost anything. Wiping the disk is bad idea, not only do you lose data, and you will also lose any ability to do forensics to pin down what went wrong.

The only drawback of a getting another disk is some extra money. But with SSDs being $30 cheap likes this:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/240gb-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(240g)

It is really a no-brainer. You can use however you like after your are done doing your experiments, even return it to the store if you must. And it is much quicker to get the problems and issues.

Dec 26, 2018
Okay. i have reinstalled windows (without another drive) i'm not worried about loosing data cos i need to clean up my drive anyway (also i did it before your reply)), and i will now do some tests to see if it is fixed. (also i only have on stick of RAM original Ralph). thanks for the help.

Dec 26, 2018
Also, if the re installation of windows hasn't fixed it and the BIOS update hasn't fixed it then can i be sure it isn't a software problem but a hardware problem?
if so what do i do send the cpu back and get a new one?