Question Seemingly random and very brief loss of connection

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
This is an issue that I have been experiencing recently, where I lose connection to the internet for a single moment, any online application that I have running completely disconnects, and I regain my connection within the next few seconds. However, this seems to only happen when I have an online application running, like a game; when I'm normally browsing the internet, I do not experience a disconnection like this. This is unlike normal lag where the game will slow down and attempt to reconnect, it just abruptly disconnects.

I pinged 8.8.8.8 on CMD for a while and noticed that when this happens I get a timeout for a single ping. I've already performed numerous troubleshooting attempts, but I have found no success yet. Some has recommended that I try a VPN, but I'm trying to look into other solutions before I commit to that. Would anyone know why this is happening and how I might fix it?

I'm on Win10 and I have very limited access to my router, nor am I the account holder for my ISP, should that information be pertinent.

UPDATE: The issue I was having was with NPCap Loopback Adapter that downloaded along with Wireshark. Once I removed Loopback, my connectivity issues were solved.

UPDATE 2: Not a permanent solution, apparently. Same connectivity issues returned less than a week later with seemingly greater frequency.

Last edited:
First step is to leave a constant ping run to your router to determine if the problem is inside or outside your house.

If this is ok the next step is to run tracert to 8.8.8.8 or some other address. The next test is to run ping to your ISP router. This is normally hop2. This is the most common source of problems and generally the ISP can fix these pretty easy. What you will need to do is provide the test results that show no loss to your router and loss to the ISP router. Best if you have both pings run at the same time so they can't nit pick you on testing methods. Pretty much this means there is some issue with the cables outside your house. You could check the internal ones just to be sure but other than finding a damaged cable you likely will not see much.

In any case the ISP needs to come and test/fix the line running to your house.

If you see no loss to your router and the no loss to the ISP router you can continue to ping stuff in the trace until you find the nodes that cause the loss. It tends to be very hard to get things fixed that are far away. It could actually be in another ISP network.

You may want to run a file transfer to put load on the connection. Limit the file transfer to say 75% of the bandwidth since loss is normal if you actually use 100% of your bandwidth. Many times faulty connection will only have loss when under load they work fine if they are pretty much idle.

Last edited:
Can you say which country you are in?
I know from living in a developing country that, the internet hiccups all the time for no reason whatsoever, which I put down to the poor infrastructure.
If you are in Europe or America, then I would be contacting my ISP to find out why its doing it.