Question Seemingly random black screens, possibly CPU, PSU or mobo ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2021
hi

So randomly as of about 2 months ago ive been experiencing weird blackscreen crashes when doing random things on my pc E.x.(gaming, watching youtube, idling, downloading)
gpu died previously and it blackscreened but got it rma'd and didnt have a single issue for a couple of weeks until i started blackscreening again( but its different this time?) previously when it would crash i would get a completely unresponsive pc and eventually fried my card, this time however it is able to be interacted with, albeit without any type of signal regardless of what cable i use or how many monitors i have plugged in.

I have tried memtest with no issues, completely reinstalled windows on a brand new ssd, cleaned drivers, removed all drives except boot drive, reset bios/cleared cmos, turned off PBO, turned off D.O.C.P, tried 1, 2 , and 4 sticks of ram, tried gpu in another system on a 650 watt psu(ran fine) replaced gpu with 3070 temporarily and passed multiple stress tests(as has the 3090), ran OCCT, found thousands of power errors (only sometimes other times its fine) run benchmarks and reseated/ tried different cables with the psu, so i am at a complete loss now as it seems to happen within a timespan of 5min to 50+ hrs of being on and i have no clue as to what could be causing this at all.

At this point, any advice or help would be appreciated. I will say the voltages on the different rails seem rather on the low end in general and when i had originally purchased it(about 3 months ago) it had terrible coil whine that has seemed to go away somehow at this point. again any help would ba appreciated because at this point of troubleshooting for over 2 months.
I'm at my wits end and have no clue what to do at this point lol.

My specs are as followed (also it seems more likely to crash with pbo enabled in the bios) (bios, vbios, and chipset drivers are all up to date for mobo gpu and cpu.)

CPU: R9 5900x
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME x570 pro
Ram: 32gb(8x4) cl14 ddr4 trident z royal ram running at 3600mhz
SSD/HDD: 2tb samsung 860 pro(BOOT), crucial mx500 1tb m.2, inland premium 2tb m.2, t force rgb ssd 2tb, 8tb segate hdd, 4tb segate hdd
GPU: gigabyte AORUS master rtx 3090 rev 1.0
PSU: corsair rm1000x
Chassis: lian li 011 dynamic xl

i am also running 3 monitors and numerous internal and external perifs, if that information is pertinent let me know and ill update with that info,

again huge thanks to anyone who can offer any advice/ info thank you in advance.

djroff

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
That's how we can tell it's not a simple GPU issue, because other stuff freezes up -- not just the vid signal. I'll be typing an email, and suddenly it quits in mid-sentence. About 45 seconds later, just about the time I'm ready to put my shoe through the monitor, it goes black.

AMD is sending me an RMA, we'll see how that goes. They'll probably "test" my processor, not be able to duplicate my problem, and send it back as-is. Why can't these manufacturers all be like L.L. Bean, and just swap your component out with a new one, to be safe?

Mar 31, 2021
That's how we can tell it's not a simple GPU issue, because other stuff freezes up -- not just the vid signal. I'll be typing an email, and suddenly it quits in mid-sentence. About 45 seconds later, just about the time I'm ready to put my shoe through the monitor, it goes black.

AMD is sending me an RMA, we'll see how that goes. They'll probably "test" my processor, not be able to duplicate my problem, and send it back as-is. Why can't these manufacturers all be like L.L. Bean, and just swap your component out with a new one, to be safe?
Yeah sometimes itt syas no input and other none edit: none meaning just black

Status
Not open for further replies.