Question Seemingly random BSODs on windows 10

May 7, 2020
My PC BSODs at seemingly random times. When it BSODs, no dump file is created, even though it should according to my configurations.

Here's what I've done so far:

Format the whole drive
Reinstalled windows 10 from USB
This didn't solve anything.

I suspected a hardware problem, so I ran several tests on my hardware:
  • memtest OK
  • CPU test OK
  • GPU test OK

When I tried testing the SSD using Samsung's Magician software, my PC crashed. I was able to replicate this crash six times in exactly the same way. The PC would always crash around the 10% mark, when the "writing" test started.

Next I pulled the system apart to check the motherboard and PSU for visible defects. To do this I had to take the PSU apart. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong, so I put it back together and plugged everything in.

The weird thing is, after plugging everyting back in, I tried the SSD test once more and it worked. It now works consistently. I though I had fixed my PC and that the problem was maybe a loose cable, but after 2 days of no BSODs it did it again. The PC now BSODs about once or twice a day. Workload doesn't seem to matter.

Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC?

What error codes? the same one all the time or different? WHEA errors? Machine CHeck Exceptions? just guessing since it survives reinstalls.

if its the ssd and it crashes, its not going to be able to create a dump file.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -
that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

can you run this - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

May 7, 2020

What error codes? the same one all the time or different? WHEA errors? Machine CHeck Exceptions? just guessing since it survives reinstalls.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Thank you for your quick reply.

The blue screen shows no error code, or if it does it dissapears too quickly for me to see. I'm not sure what WHEA errors or Machine Check Exceptions are. Where can I check that for you?

I'll follow the link you posted now.

Edit: I already configured Windows to create a minidump on BSOD, but they always fail. In the event viewer I get a volmgr error.

May 7, 2020

I ran the thing in the link. How do I post the zip?

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm, i guess if it doesn't create a dump it doesn't even create the lines in windows error reporting.

All I can see is wolframEngine.dll keeps crashing but i doubt that has anything to do with it

i assume you don't have a ps 2 mouse or keyboard? its just odd that they are even showing as problem devices as i don't have one either and yet you have a warning in system info/Components/Problem Devices

May 7, 2020
hmm, i guess if it doesn't create a dump it doesn't even create the lines in windows error reporting.

All I can see is wolframEngine.dll keeps crashing but i doubt that has anything to do with it

i assume you don't have a ps 2 mouse or keyboard? its just odd that they are even showing as problem devices as i don't have one either and yet you have a warning in system info/Components/Problem Devices

Unfortunately I don't have a mouse and keyboard with that connector. That is strange. Is that a sign that the MOBO may be broken?

I agree Wolfram probably has nothing to do with it. It's just a piece of software that I prototype in. Those prototypes crash the kernel regularly, but that's of no concern.