[SOLVED] Seemingly random crashes

Apr 8, 2020
No helpful information at all in event viewer after a crash. Crashes are seemingly random but
seem to occur more frequently when playing a game. It has only crashed a single time while
idling on the desktop. I should point out this is a new build, and all parts were bought new. The crashes will either freeze the computer completely and get stuck, forcing my to manually restart the computer or it will sometimes restart instantly after a crash. I haven't really noticed a pattern to this.

Specs:
Windows 10
MBoard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
GFX: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT BLS16G4D32AEST 16GB Dual Rank
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V3 750 W Gold
SSD: Intel SSDPEKNW512G8X1 660P M2 (Boot Drive)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Tried:
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling Windows
Clean install of drivers
Reseating/Rebuilding all parts
Swapping memory slots
Checked HDD/SSD health with CrystalDisk, no problems.

OCCT Stress Tests
Mem Test: Clean
OCCT and Linpack CPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, no errors
GPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, 8 shader complexity, no errors
GPU Mem Test: 25 Minutes, 84 Iterations
PSU Test: 20 Minutes, no errors

Temps after testing: (Min, Max)
GPU: 44c, 72c
CPU Package: 35c, 77c
CPU: 35c, 77c

Last edited:
Solution
I would lean towards a power problem - PSU.

However, I will suggest that you again, power down, unplug, open the case and double check that all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers' are fully and firmly in place. Check by visual and physical (push) inspection.

Look (use a bright flashlight) for any signs of cables being pinched or kinked. Maybe touching where they should not be touching.

New builds are difficult and no one wants to force anything into place. Sometimes unplugging and re-plugging a few times will suddenly "feel" better and the connection is then truly secure as it should be.

If all that does not resolve the problems then you are left with swapping out components to determine if one or another is faulty.

Start with...

Ralston18

Titan
Could be that, with a new build, there may still be some ongoing Windows attempts to update and/or apps doing the same.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crash times. Reliability History is more user friendly so start there.

You can also use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then, second, while gaming.

Look in Task Manager's Startup tab; anything there that you do not recognize? Investigate first and then disable if the app is not something you want launched at startup and running in the background.

Apr 8, 2020
Could be that, with a new build, there may still be some ongoing Windows attempts to update and/or apps doing the same.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crash times. Reliability History is more user friendly so start there.

You can also use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then, second, while gaming.

Look in Task Manager's Startup tab; anything there that you do not recognize? Investigate first and then disable if the app is not something you want launched at startup and running in the background.

Thank you for the quick reply. All that appears are Kernel-Power events with the detail "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." There is nothing else that seems to be connected to the crashes.

After checking in Task Manager with and without gaming, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Also there is nothing in the start-up tab that I don't recognize but I disabled a couple of things anyway (Discord and iCUE)

Ralston18

Titan
I would lean towards a power problem - PSU.

However, I will suggest that you again, power down, unplug, open the case and double check that all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers' are fully and firmly in place. Check by visual and physical (push) inspection.

Look (use a bright flashlight) for any signs of cables being pinched or kinked. Maybe touching where they should not be touching.

New builds are difficult and no one wants to force anything into place. Sometimes unplugging and re-plugging a few times will suddenly "feel" better and the connection is then truly secure as it should be.

If all that does not resolve the problems then you are left with swapping out components to determine if one or another is faulty.

Start with as basic a configuration as possible and add components one by one to determine if any one component causes the crashes to start again.

Key is to be patient and allow time between components and/or other changes.

Solution