Question Seemingly random GPU crashes during certain games

Lairiak

Reputable
May 31, 2020
Bear with me, it's a long explanation.

I've had a peculiar problem with my computer for a little while now, but now I'm totally lost and I'm looking to multiple forums for a solution.

Recently, I had a window AC unit installed in my room, which has my computer in it. Ever since then, my computer crashes seemingly for no reason with certain games, even when the AC is unplugged. Most notably, the games being FF14 and CSGO. At first, I was thinking a possible power issue, but my PC is plugged into a surge protector, so I was thinking it would block any power spikes to prevent damage, however I'm not an electrician so correct me if I'm wrong. This issue could be entirely separate and coincidental concerning the AC unit, but I figured I would mention it because it happened in the same time frame. Another thing to mention, I did have the AC unit plugged in the surge protector with my PC, however after noticing the issues, I moved it to a different outlet in a different room with an extension cord, however it still will crash. I also don't have the unit running constantly, at most I have it running for 30 minutes on a low setting. Again, it's possible it's totally unrelated, but I want to give as much information as I can.

Step-by-step, this is what happens:
  1. Open CSGO, queue for match
  2. warmup ensues, everything is fine
  3. USUALLY first or second round it slows down a bunch, playing a bunch of distorted sounds until it either freezes or crashes, sometimes with no BSOD. When it does BSOD, the error is VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
  4. Oddly enough, it won't do it again for the entire day. It crashes once, but then not again for the entire day.
- The same thing happens in FF14. I haven't tested any other game but I doubt the outcome will be any different.

This is what happened for about a week before writing this, so, doing some basic troubleshooting I used DDU to cleanly reinstall drivers thinking that was the issue.

However, that didn't fix anything. I don't think I did anything wrong, used Safe Mode for DDU, reinstalled NVIDIA drivers, restarted, etc. The other day it crashed watching a simple youtube video, no BSOD, but Event Viewer indicates it was a BSOD with error 0x00000116, or VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. It hasn't done that since.

Here's a DMP of the most recent crash, a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR crash: link

Things I've tried:
  1. sfc /scannow in cmd (didn't find anything)
  2. chkdsk (didn't find anything)
  3. DISM (didn't work)
  4. Reinstalling CSGO (didn't do anything)
  5. DDU (mentioned earlier)
  6. Cleaned out PC, reseated GPU and RAM - I thought this worked because I didn't have issues for a bit, but was unfortunately met with a crash today
Other things I can possibly try (in no particular order):
  1. Updating BIOS
  2. DDU again, different driver ver.
  3. For a last resort, replacing hardware
  4. Changing power settings in windows or NVIDIA control panel
  5. Anything you guys can think of down below
Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super (MSI model)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
HDD: 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200
SSD: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO (my C: drive)
PSU: 850W Gold Certified GAMEMAX PSU
Case: MSI Gungnir 100

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it's a lot. I just don't really know where to turn to.

Bear with me, it's a long explanation.

I've had a peculiar problem with my computer for a little while now, but now I'm totally lost and I'm looking to multiple forums for a solution.

Recently, I had a window AC unit installed in my room, which has my computer in it. Ever since then, my computer crashes seemingly for no reason with certain games, even when the AC is unplugged. Most notably, the games being FF14 and CSGO. At first, I was thinking a possible power issue, but my PC is plugged into a surge protector, so I was thinking it would block any power spikes to prevent damage, however I'm not an electrician so correct me if I'm wrong. This issue could be entirely separate and coincidental concerning the AC unit, but I figured I would mention it because it happened in the same time frame. Another thing to mention, I did have the AC unit plugged in the surge protector with my PC, however after noticing the issues, I moved it to a different outlet in a different room with an extension cord, however it still will crash. I also don't have the unit running constantly, at most I have it running for 30 minutes on a low setting. Again, it's possible it's totally unrelated, but I want to give as much information as I can.

Step-by-step, this is what happens:
  1. Open CSGO, queue for match
  2. warmup ensues, everything is fine
  3. USUALLY first or second round it slows down a bunch, playing a bunch of distorted sounds until it either freezes or crashes, sometimes with no BSOD. When it does BSOD, the error is VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
  4. Oddly enough, it won't do it again for the entire day. It crashes once, but then not again for the entire day.
- The same thing happens in FF14. I haven't tested any other game but I doubt the outcome will be any different.

This is what happened for about a week before writing this, so, doing some basic troubleshooting I used DDU to cleanly reinstall drivers thinking that was the issue.

However, that didn't fix anything. I don't think I did anything wrong, used Safe Mode for DDU, reinstalled NVIDIA drivers, restarted, etc. The other day it crashed watching a simple youtube video, no BSOD, but Event Viewer indicates it was a BSOD with error 0x00000116, or VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. It hasn't done that since.

Here's a DMP of the most recent crash, a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR crash: link

Things I've tried:
  1. sfc /scannow in cmd (didn't find anything)
  2. chkdsk (didn't find anything)
  3. DISM (didn't work)
  4. Reinstalling CSGO (didn't do anything)
  5. DDU (mentioned earlier)
  6. Cleaned out PC, reseated GPU and RAM - I thought this worked because I didn't have issues for a bit, but was unfortunately met with a crash today
Other things I can possibly try (in no particular order):
  1. Updating BIOS
  2. DDU again, different driver ver.
  3. For a last resort, replacing hardware
  4. Changing power settings in windows or NVIDIA control panel
  5. Anything you guys can think of down below
Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super (MSI model)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
HDD: 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200
SSD: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO (my C: drive)
PSU: 850W Gold Certified GAMEMAX PSU
Case: MSI Gungnir 100

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it's a lot. I just don't really know where to turn to.
https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7C02v1G1.zip
Latest bios

Chipset drivers

https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/amd_chipset_drivers_am4_tr4.zip

Lairiak

Reputable
May 31, 2020
I'll try this, and update tomorrow to see if any issues persist, since it seems to only crash or BSOD once per day.
Ok I'm a day late, but I was able to test out a match of CSGO today.

Within a round the game began to slow down immensely until eventually it froze. I tabbed out to try and close it with Task Manager, but it took a minute. When tabbed back in, this image was produced:
unknown.png

Don't really know what the image entails but I figured it'd be worth it to put here for "evidence" since it looks like unloaded textures or something

I tried to relaunch, but my computer had froze, but I can still hear audio (I was in a discord call). Every few seconds however, the audio stuttered as if it were on the verge of crashing, so I turned off the PC. Oddly enough, my primary monitor turned off with no signal, while my other monitor stayed on but was unable to be interacted with. Since still it seems to only crash or act like this once per day, it's fine for now, but I don't really know what to do next.