Question Seemingly random green screens and then restarts

Apr 20, 2020
Hi. I have been getting bsod for a long time now however my pc has seemingly moved on from them and now the screen just goes green and then it restarts. I ran memory tests with no errors. I reinstalled windows. Updated, clean install of all drivers. Updated bios (which then broke my sound). I ran a gpu stress test for hours with no errors and then ran prime 95 with 1 error on one worker.(hit max temperature and was throttling during the test) I have changed memory speeds. And was thinking about changing the voltages on Cpu however I am fairly new to this so decided against that. Nothing has helped nothing is overclocked. Xmp profile on or off same issues. I have left it off for now

CPU - ryzen 5 3600
GPU - radeon 5700 xt
mb - msi gaming plus max (B450)
ram - corsair vengeance pro 16gb ddr4 3600
Psu- 500w Corsair

I thought it could be cooling issue as it was hitting max temperature in the stress test however my pc seems happy to crash when idle too.
Any help/ ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What 500w Corsair?
they make good units and complete crap units with a 500w rating.
Make sure you have 2 separate power cables to the card.
Not one power cable with a 6&8 pin on the end.
An error on prime 95 is bad.
Download memtest 86 to rule out memory errors.
Run for at least 7 passes to get full coverage of all memory.

Apr 20, 2020
What 500w Corsair?
they make good units and complete crap units with a 500w rating.
Make sure you have 2 separate power cables to the card.
Not one power cable with a 6&8 pin on the end.
An error on prime 95 is bad.
Download memtest 86 to rule out memory errors.
Run for at least 7 passes to get full coverage of all memory.

sorry my bad for the power supply it’s actually a cx650m 80+bronze.
I will run the test now
And I have one cable that splits into 2 6+2 ends that is powering my graphics card. Is this bad?

Yes
Any video card should have as many cables going to it as it has connectors.
Most newer video cards pull most of their power through the PCI-E power connectors.
So in your case you could pull 225 watts of power through one cable.
This causes heat, resistance and voltage drop. so it makes the power supply work harder , and increases power supply temps.
Your power supply is a low mid quality model.
Not recommended for Higher end systems like yours.

So give it 2 cables and check case cooling as mentioned above.

Apr 20, 2020
I tried switching to 2 cables and playing with all sides off the case and so far no crashes or anything for around 4 hours. Much longer than I ever got before. I will test now with all the sides on to see if it was heat causing the issue however I’m hopeful that plugging in the second cable has fixed the issue.
my temps under load with the case as open as I could get it are
Gpu 86 (Furmark)
Cpu ranged from 92 to 66 (prime95)

The cpu was hitting 100% of its ppt and 93% of its tdc. Not really sure if this is normal or not but that’s what the ryzen master program was telling me so I thought I’d mention it

Apr 20, 2020
Sorry for the late reply
this was one of my thought too as it worked with all sides off the case but become unstable when all sides were back on. My case is Gamemax Draco Mid-Tower RGB PC Gaming case, I got is from amazon fairly cheap wothb4 fans included however I just checked some reviews and they said cooling is not good as the front panel is too near the fans so not much air intake. I have 3 front fans and one at the back.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty case - DEFINITELY choked on the front intake though.
Fans up against the solid glass panel + small gaps on the side... airflow = 💩
Those front panel designs harm gpu temps the most - also hurts radiators that would be mounted there.

Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for all the help guys. It’s been a very long time since these issues started and I’ve tried so much to fix it or even diagnose the problem and I think that temperature is the issue as again it’s run perfectly fine with the side and front panel off. I’ll message here again tomorrow after leaving it on running from a while.

Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys. Not sure if anyone is going to see this but after creating standoffs it works very well and stops most crashes however I sometimes still get Crashes mainly irql not less or equal and then very quickly after kmode except not handled. And then seems to run fine for days and then this will repeat