[SOLVED] (Seemingly) Random Restarts Throughout the Day

Sep 20, 2020
Starting today, my computer started to experience random restart issues. I custom-built it in January, so all of the parts are new, and it's worked fine up until now. Nothing special happened today (that I can identify) to trigger it.

Event Viewer logs don't seem to indicate much (other than vague critical error), and I started monitoring CPU/GPU temperatures, though they seem to chill around 50-60 degrees consistently. I also ran a Windows Defender scan, as well as Malwarebytes, and both showed no viruses.

What's weird is that I could use my computer for about 15 minutes between restarts, and then it got more and more common, until it was stuck in a restart loop. This brought me to the "Windows did not start properly" screen with all the troubleshooting options, and I'm not sure if this is indicative of a software problem or just the result of Windows restarting a bunch of times without success (does anybody know the answer to this?)

After this loop, I shut down my computer, left it for a few minutes, then restarted it. I was able to get a couple hours of mileage, before it started to restart again. I shut it down, opened it up, made sure all the wires were connected tightly, and then it ran for a while longer... before it restarted again. Not sure where to go from here because I'm not really a computer expert, and any help with diagnosis would be appreciated.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
Motherboard: Z390 aorus ultra
Memory: 64 GB, 3600 MHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (850W)
Hard Drives: 2 Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVMe SSDs

Solution
Hi HandofDog.

Go in the BIOS and deactivate XMP and test with only 1 stick of RAM in the appropriate slot. Let's see if this is RAM instability.

You can test the GPU in another system or see if the system keeps restarting using the integrated graphics by plugging the monitor to the motherboard graphics port instead of the GTX 1060.

You said the temperatures of the CPU and GPU are ok? So not overheating.

The PSU is a good model. Not saying it couldn't be defect but restarting and shutting down system is most of the time the PSU.
Hi HandofDog.

Go in the BIOS and deactivate XMP and test with only 1 stick of RAM in the appropriate slot. Let's see if this is RAM instability.

You can test the GPU in another system or see if the system keeps restarting using the integrated graphics by plugging the monitor to the motherboard graphics port instead of the GTX 1060.

You said the temperatures of the CPU and GPU are ok? So not overheating.

The PSU is a good model. Not saying it couldn't be defect but restarting and shutting down system is most of the time the PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 20, 2020
Hi HandofDog.

I will try this tomorrow, since it seems to take a couple hours between restarts after a cooldown now, and I can't stay up long enough to confirm whether the problem persists.

Thank you for the swift response, though!