Status
Not open for further replies.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
We DO recommend MicroCenter.
However......

"Available for In-Store Pickup Only. "
Great, if you live near one. Otherwise, meh.

I'm lucky enough to live in Ohio, and have 3 within range of me. 1 in Michigan, 1 in Cleveland, 1 in Columbus. 2 hr drive for the one in Michigan but worth it if I need something. My last trip up there was for a 3080 Open Box for $545...it was worth the trip.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm lucky enough to live in Ohio, and have 3 within range of me. 1 in Michigan, 1 in Cleveland, 1 in Columbus. 2 hr drive for the one in Michigan but worth it if I need something. My last trip up there was for a 3080 Open Box for $545...it was worth the trip.
My dad used to work in the Cleveland store. I used to live around the corner from the Cincinnati store.

Reactions: letmepicyou

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
We DO recommend MicroCenter.
However......

"Available for In-Store Pickup Only. "
Great, if you live near one. Otherwise, meh.

Oh yeah, that is definitely the "catch" as it were. The nearest stores to me are an hour plus away, however, the deals they run on last gen items and the CPU/mobo combo are particularly worthwhile. This works out especially well when I have business in the area.

I purchased my R7 1700 here for $100. Picked up an open box X370 Taichi for $99. Picked up a 2700X for ~$125. I recently paid less than retail for the 11900K I am currently on using a promotional code. I find it quite worthwhile in spite of the really cruddy drive across Atlanta.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
One thing I noticed is they do not like to hold on to stuff thats discontinued or about to be discontinued, so they blowout price/rebate it and frame it as a big sale. Thats how I got 3 curved 27" 1080p 144hz MSI monitors for my sim system for net $120 each.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
One thing I noticed is they do not like to hold on to stuff thats discontinued or about to be discontinued, so they blowout price/rebate it and frame it as a big sale. Thats how I got 3 curved 27" 1080p 144hz MSI monitors for my sim system for net $120 each.
And you have to WATCH. They are actually one of the few places that I've found that keeps their actual in-store stock and their online in-store stock pretty synced.

The 3080 I just picked up for $545, they had 2 of them, that had both gone to "Open Box" on the same day. I saw it and hit the old "Pick up in store" button and got it ordered. I saw when I got there that BOTH the open box 3080's that they put on the open box shelf the previous day had been internet-ordered for pickup...so things that are in demand literally won't wait around for you. Ideally you need to sit on their website and watch it every evening with lots of "refresh" to watch for when they update their website with the previous day's returns and whatnot. When you see something, you need to be ready to order for in-store pickup or it'll be gone. And if you think you'll just be able to drive there hoping to get lucky? You usually won't. I've found some of the best deals (boards, gpus, you name it) by watching the website for open box postings every evening.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was tempted for the longest time to buy a 9700k and try to BIOS hack it into my Z270 board. I think they got down to $200 or something before they finally got rid of all of them.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I was tempted for the longest time to buy a 9700k and try to BIOS hack it into my Z270 board. I think they got down to $200 or something before they finally got rid of all of them.
The 9700k is what I just upgraded from. I picked up that and a sweet Gigabyte Aorus at Microcenter on uber sale. Can't remember how much just remember that it was cheap, lol. It's a great gaming chip, but octa cores are old hat nowadays. The new 12700kf crushes it. Of course I got my board for it on sale at Microcenter...Asrock Z690 Steel Legend in DDR4...$170. So many deals...:sweatsmile:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This was at the height of the spectre and meltdown issues, and disabling hyperthreading was the way to go. 9700k doesn't have hyperthreading, win win over a 7700k. But my nephew ended up with it for Roblox.

Oh yeah, that is definitely the "catch" as it were. The nearest stores to me are an hour plus away, however, the deals they run on last gen items and the CPU/mobo combo are particularly worthwhile. This works out especially well when I have business in the area.

I purchased my R7 1700 here for $100. Picked up an open box X370 Taichi for $99. Picked up a 2700X for ~$125. I recently paid less than retail for the 11900K I am currently on using a promotional code. I find it quite worthwhile in spite of the really cruddy drive across Atlanta.
I am north of Atlanta so both stores, Duluth and Marietta, are 1:30hours away on non rush hour drives.
They had this deal a couple months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.