Question Seems like activating XMP killed my B channels.

compunerdy

Honorable
Sep 12, 2014
Asus ProArt Z490 creator 10g
Intel I9-10900K

Originally had 4 sticks of F4-3200C14Q-64GVk installed no xmp was running like this for about a month
Swapped out for 4 sticks of F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC ran fine for a few hours

Decided to try running XMP on the new ram. Computer would not post. Error light for ram was on would not go into safe mode.

Ever since then I can get 2 sticks of either ram to work on A1 A2 with or without XMP on but if I put any stick in B1 or B2 it will not post and the ram led is on. This includes putting a stick in A2 B2 like its supposed to be.

Anyone ever see something like this before?

compunerdy

Honorable
Sep 12, 2014
All 8 sticks will run normal or xmp in A1 A2..
XMP on or off none will work if a stick is in B1 or B2
Updated to newest BIOS didn't change anything.

Only XMP profile listed was the 3600

compunerdy

Honorable
Sep 12, 2014
Correct I cannot get the original memory to work either

I didn't change anything else

Its a Thermaltake AIO and I did not touch it

Comp.jpg

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Asus ProArt Z490 creator 10g
Intel I9-10900K

Originally had 4 sticks of F4-3200C14Q-64GVk installed no xmp was running like this for about a month
Swapped out for 4 sticks of F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC ran fine for a few hours

Decided to try running XMP on the new ram. Computer would not post. Error light for ram was on would not go into safe mode.

Ever since then I can get 2 sticks of either ram to work on A1 A2 with or without XMP on but if I put any stick in B1 or B2 it will not post and the ram led is on. This includes putting a stick in A2 B2 like its supposed to be.

Anyone ever see something like this before?
Just as an option, install other sticks in order to exclude a malfunction of the DIMM slots on your motherboard, or install your sticks in another motherboard to check the functionality. And by analogy, carry out such actions with the CPU.

compunerdy

Honorable
Sep 12, 2014
Bent pins wouldn't explain why all 4 slots worked at first though. But I do have another CPU here to try so I will probably rule that out. Do not see anything in the ram slots and I have swapped the ram around multiple times and made sure to fully seat them. It is definitely something pretty rare and I am pretty sure I wont be able to convince Asus if I decide to try and RMA the board.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Bent pins wouldn't explain why all 4 slots worked at first though. But I do have another CPU here to try so I will probably rule that out. Do not see anything in the ram slots and I have swapped the ram around multiple times and made sure to fully seat them. It is definitely something pretty rare and I am pretty sure I wont be able to convince Asus if I decide to try and RMA the board.
Agreed. That is why I asked about whether you did anything with the CPU cooler. Over-tightening, for example, can cause similar issues as you are experiencing.

I would guess that Asus will ask you to inspect the CPU socket. Also, make sure you have the CPU socket protective cover in place, if they do allow a RMA.