Sega: Big Money in PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Sega defends PC... Awesome.. and once(if) the digital sales figures from direct2drive and Steam get released im pretty sure it will shock many. I purchase allot from both Steam and Direct2drive, and haven't been to gamestop or bestbuy in a very long time.
What i really want to know is how Badcompany 2 PC version did vs consoles

All Sega games are sold through Steam and have DLCs also. Thumbs up for them.

Unless Consoles get large HDDs, there won't be enough DLC for *all* the games one could have and thanks to propietary hardware (x-box 360) the price won't make it worthy/attractive on the long run.

Cheers!

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]speedemon[/nom]What i really want to know is how Badcompany 2 PC version did vs consoles[/citation]
While not indicative of the actual conclusive stats, here's a pretty good picture of PC vs the consoles.

http://bfbcs.com/pc

The left hand side shows the stats of all 3 platforms and how many players/servers/and players online atm for the game. Nearly a million players on PC, while only 365k for ps3, and 280k for x360.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]While not indicative of the actual conclusive stats, here's a pretty good picture of PC vs the consoles.http://bfbcs.com/pcThe left hand side shows the stats of all 3 platforms and how many players/servers/and players online atm for the game. Nearly a million players on PC, while only 365k for ps3, and 280k for x360.[/citation]

Wow!

Someone on that leaderboard has clocked over 363 hours!

Thats a minimum average of 11.3 hours per day since the release date!

G

If sega can take a 12.8% share of the market with the three mentioned games I would rate that as a sign of how weak the market really is. A good sign for Sega, maybe, but not a good sign for the market.

That said I hate how certain companies claim that the pc market is healthy but _never_ have any actual numbers to back it up with. I know FM2010 has sold relatively well, but how about AvP? More than 300k (on pc)? I doubt it even though I bought it on getgamesgo.com.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Just like the vcr, then TiVo, then On-Demand making the Neison ratings totally off then change to reflect a better understanding, i'm suprised this has taken so long to realize in the COMPUTER business. Retail sales to internet sales to DD etc.

And who gets blamed?

And who suffers?

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
If they act like the PC market is doing well for them, why do they gimp games like Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing? They wouldn't give the budget for online play because "the sales forecasts weren't there and people would just pirate it anyway." Two very different Segas imo

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]http://bfbcs.com/pcThe left hand side shows the stats of all 3 platforms and how many players/servers/and players online atm for the game. Nearly a million players on PC, while only 365k for ps3, and 280k for x360.[/citation]
But, but... PC gaming is dying. I know for sure because I've heard my friend's mom's cousin say so. Pirates and all. You know.

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pcxt21[/nom]Yet another reason to like Sega, glad I bought that Genesis instead of the SNES now...[/citation]

SNES rocked! back off man

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
GJ Sega. It's really good to hear about a company having success on the platform, instead of just bitching about piracy. Release games reasonably priced through digital distribution and with good multiplayer modes and free updates/DLC and a lot of ppl will shell out for it. I think when you sell games in the $20-30 price range, piracy doesnt really seem worth the effort, even if it's single player only, most ppl will pay the money to get the game faster (usually) and guaranteed and with automatic updates and future content. Asking someone to shell out $50 for a game that they'll probably only play for 10-20 hours and then never again is what makes piracy seem like a good option.

sa6r

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
If Sega really believes the PC is viable, where is the Afterburner Climax PC version? They only see the PC when releasing games based on little girls toys etc. The PC in the 90's was such a versatile platform; with many arcade ports and different genre games available. Now it's just RTS and shooters.
The PC is dead as a gaming platform.

Sinsation Station

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Always liked SEGA. (I still remember their games Buck Rogers and Congo Bongo for the Atari 2600).

Its good to hear positive comments about PC Gaming from a company thats being around for so many years.

scione

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Make it worthy of buying. Make a good game, keep DRM bs off it, add multiplayer and you will have no trouble getting sales.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]xpax[/nom]Until couches start coming standard with built-in desks, and the big console guys realize their joypads are lame; the living room will always provide only a fraction of the gaming potential that a PC can.[/citation]

I agree, although the first 1st person shooter I ever played addictively was Goldeneye, that in my opinion nintendo did a fantastic job on the N64 controller, being the only controller to at least somewhat effectively produce smooth aiming on a console to date, yea, 14 years later, no improvements other than auto aim...I find myself incapable, no...to impatient to adapt to how, basically imprecise an analog controller is for aiming in first person shooters specifically.

PC gaming can't die, any dumba** developer/publisher ever claiming so is doing nothing but repeating wtf they heard from some other dumba**
I'd like to see egosoft or cdproject or besthesda complain about pc gaming...oh wait, they don't, because other than fallout 3, putting the X3 series when it was first released, or the witcher when it was first released, on a console would have just been a laugh, especially with X3. And don't make me laugh about using compression streams of any sort or about bluray capasity...
The only way I ever see consoles competing directly with PC gaming, is when you can finally upgrade ram and video card, because as it stands, the onboard ram and video capabilities on a 360 and PS3 are just going to become more and more of a joke when it comes to eye candy or stupidly huge areas like in X3 Reunion/Terran Conflict itself.
And last time i checked a torrent site, there were just as many sh** loads of console/handheld games availible for download, and to add to that, kijiji and craigslist aren't lacking at all in adds from $15 and up to modify your console/handheld to play pirated games. How must all this evidence be slaped in the faces of these ppl before they stfu about pc market being hurt by pirating when for someone in my position its actually easier to get pirated copies for my ps3 and get it moded just down the street than bother finding an up to date crack or at least one that isn't a virus for a recent pc game?

Thank you for reading

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pcxt21[/nom]Yet another reason to like Sega, glad I bought that Genesis instead of the SNES now...[/citation]
I can see a genesis in my closet right now. =D

Good for Sega, recognizing that the PC market isn't dying anytime soon.
That's good for me, or else I'd have a really really expensive paperweight...
The sad part though is that too many good games are console only (my xbox collection is terrifying).

Status
Not open for further replies.