Sega's PSO 2 Confirmed For North America, Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I have fond memories of PSO on the Dreamcast. So much so, I rerolled and played offline recently. Certain rare items are only available based on the composition of your name, but that's extra replay value. :) The original was also Free to Play, assuming you could set up your connection to use a free ISP and not Dreamarena.

Just a shame the Dreamcast wasn't mentioned in the article. :)

G

PSO Ep I&II for Gamecube is still my favorite game of all time. Dumped 1000+ hours into it over 6 or so years and I still come back to play it every now and then (even after a corrupted memory card).

I really hope this doesn't flop like PSU did, but it's all up to Sega and their support (or lack thereof). If this doesn't run and receive updates in parallel with the JP servers, I foresee it going downhill quickly, just like PSU. I don't have much hope for Sega, but I'll reserve judgment until I play.

Also, Blue Burst wasn't an Xbox port. Blue Burst included episodes 1 and 2 in addition to the new episode 4, which was not included in the Xbox version. It also changed drop charts among other things. The Xbox version is actually a straight port of the GC version, IIRC.

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I still play Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst on a private server (And not that piece of scht one). Good times! Looking forward to playing this in English next year :)

[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]PSO Ep I&II for Gamecube is still my favorite game of all time. Dumped 1000+ hours into it over 6 or so years and I still come back to play it every now and then (even after a corrupted memory card).I really hope this doesn't flop like PSU did, but it's all up to Sega and their support (or lack thereof). If this doesn't run and receive updates in parallel with the JP servers, I foresee it going downhill quickly, just like PSU. I don't have much hope for Sega, but I'll reserve judgment until I play.Also, Blue Burst wasn't an Xbox port. Blue Burst included episodes 1 and 2 in addition to the new episode 4, which was not included in the Xbox version. It also changed drop charts among other things. The Xbox version is actually a straight port of the GC version, IIRC.[/citation]

Huh, PSO EP I&II is also one of my favorite games! I also really liked EP III a hell of a lot - a very good game once you get past the "wtf card games this game suxx xD" phase. As for Blue Burst, as far as I know, the engine is lifted off of the XBOX version; doesn't mean there isn't new content, obviously.

PSO2... I wouldn't get my hopes up in terms of the updates staying parellel. I would be fine if we were only a month or two behind, though, but please SoJ, don't shove SoA back a whole year...

G

[citation][nom]Misdissident[/nom]I still play Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst on a private server (And not that piece of scht one). Good times! Looking forward to playing this in English next year Huh, PSO EP I&II is also one of my favorite games! I also really liked EP III a hell of a lot - a very good game once you get past the "wtf card games this game suxx xD" phase. As for Blue Burst, as far as I know, the engine is lifted off of the XBOX version; doesn't mean there isn't new content, obviously.PSO2... I wouldn't get my hopes up in terms of the updates staying parellel. I would be fine if we were only a month or two behind, though, but please SoJ, don't shove SoA back a whole year...[/citation]

Ah, I didn't know about the engines being similar. I actually never played the Xbox version, personally. Still, "port" is typically associated with a straight carbon copy with no additions or changes. BB was sort of a half-remake, half-sequel kinda deal.

And I share the same concern. At this rate, if US PSO2 isn't up to speed with JP at launch, we will already start with (at least) a 6 month gap in content. And knowing Sega, it will only go downhill from there.

I don't really expect them to stay on top of supporting the US servers, given their track record and the new F2P model. I more expect it to go the way of games like DFO, where the US servers are 1-2 years behind and the cash shops are filled with $10 shirts and $5 for a pack of healing items...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
make the game a 1 time purchase, no monthly fee, as i can not justify 10-15$ a month for a 4 player multiplayer for any game.

than also, don't lock multiplayer and force a single player story to be played to play multiplayer, i dont like being forced to play a character i dont care about to unlock where i do care about my characters.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]Ah, I didn't know about the engines being similar. I actually never played the Xbox version, personally. Still, "port" is typically associated with a straight carbon copy with no additions or changes. BB was sort of a half-remake, half-sequel kinda deal.And I share the same concern. At this rate, if US PSO2 isn't up to speed with JP at launch, we will already start with (at least) a 6 month gap in content. And knowing Sega, it will only go downhill from there.I don't really expect them to stay on top of supporting the US servers, given their track record and the new F2P model. I more expect it to go the way of games like DFO, where the US servers are 1-2 years behind and the cash shops are filled with $10 shirts and $5 for a pack of healing items...[/citation]I played the Dreamcast original, V2, and later Ep I and II on Xbox. Blue Burst has everything in the Xbox version and then a ton more - like another Episode.

Anyway, so far PSO 2 is looking really awesome. From what I've seen detailed of their F2P model, it's much better than most of the Korean F2P MMORPGs. It doesn't look like Pay to Win, by any stretch of the imagination. I myself will probably spend a few bucks to get an extra character slot or two, maybe a few dollars monthly to access My Room function, and a couple dollars here and there on costumes. But from everything I've seen it looks like playing for free is quite viable, for those unable or unwilling to pay. My main concern is character transfers, but they're talking about adding them at a later date.

I follow http://bumped.org/psublog/ to keep on top of what's happening with PSO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.