Segate 3Tb internal sata transfer rate dropping

D Grm

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Hi all, First time posting here.
Was wondering if I should be concerned? I about a hour ago I put in a new seagate 3Tb hd used disc wizard to initialize the drive to max capacity, did a quick format and the drive was looking good. Started to move 250gigs worth of data from another sata drive that was close to capacity and I was getting 52MB/second. A hour or so later and I am down to 41MB/second and going down. Is this cause for concern? Could this drive be failing before my eyes?

Both drives are sata 3, both 7200 rpm. on paper there stats are almost identical except size and brand. I am moving data from a 1Tb WD green to the new SG 3Tb. Forgot to mention this is a cut and paste transfer.
Thank you very much

Solution
Data being accessed on the outer part of the hard drive platter will actually be accessed faster than data on the inner edges. The computer may just be accessing different sections of the 1TB drive which is causing the transfer rate to vary. This is normal.

inzgary

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Data being accessed on the outer part of the hard drive platter will actually be accessed faster than data on the inner edges. The computer may just be accessing different sections of the 1TB drive which is causing the transfer rate to vary. This is normal.

Solution

D Grm

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
Thank you, I also found out that the drives where getting hot, so I re-organized my dives in my tower to allow for more space between each and they are all running faster now.