Seiki SE32FY22 Monitor - half screen is going out

bchgnn

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Seiki SE32FY22 Monitor - all of a sudden, exactly one half of the screen is OK, and the other half looks like it has a screen over it - like a bunch of tiny lines in both directions. I can see through it, and it is still useful, but not for detail work like photo editing. I am using it with an almost brand new (4 month old) MacBook Pro 2016 model, running MacOS 10.12.6 . The screen on the laptop is fine, so the problem must be with the monitor, not the graphics card. So odd that it is exactly 1/2 the screen - left side bad, right side good. Any ideas? It is over 3 years old and out of warranty, of course, but if there is just a part that needs replacing, I would like to try doing that.

That looks to be a 32" TV not a monitor. You can try to replace the system board, or at least check the screen connections and check for broken capacitors. I doubt buying parts to try to fix that TV is worth it, you can buy a new 32" TV for about $200 or less on sale these days and a used one for $100 or so.

bchgnn

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Thanks for Responding:
This is a TV, but I am using it as a monitor, not as a TV. I realize I can buy one for $200. In fact, I have one sitting here unopened to use if I can't fix this one for $50 or less. Why spend $200 when $50 might fix it - money is tight.
I opened the TV/monitor up and checked the connections and (per one video I watched) cleaned the ribbon and connection to t-com board with alcohol, let it dry and put it back. Haven't put the entire thing back together so I haven't plugged it in, but it looked properly aligned and was not dirty to begin with, so I suspect that wasn't the problem/won't fix it.
I did see something that look like places that were burned on some of the cables ( I guess that is what you would call them). I'm not sure, and I don't know why they would be burned or how it happened, but I'm not plugging it back in if that is the case. Is there any way that I can send you a photo so that you can see what I am referring to? I see where I can send a link to a url, but attaching a couple of photos would be easier.
Thanks so much for your time and expertise!