Question Select dedicated GPU from multiple GPU's.

Feb 12, 2019
Howdy, new user here. I have a PC that has been using a GTX 760 for a few years now. I recently added an RTX 2060 that I want to use as the primary GPU. Not really sure what I'll use the GTX 760 for but it is still in the machine. The problem is that I cannot get any program to use the RTX 2060.

All NVIDIA drivers are up to date and both GPU's show up in the Device Manager as well as in NVIDIA GeForce Experience.

I'm using NVIDIA GPU Activity to monitor what programs are running on the GPU's and so far no program has run on the RTX 2060.

When I go to Windows 10 Settings/Display/Graphics Settings and try to manually set the GPU only the GTX 760 shows up.

I've used the NVIDIA Control Panel to set the RTX 2060 as the preferred card for Global Settings and program specific settings and it's still not using the card.

Any help at this point would be very much appreciated as I've run out of ideas. Thanks

View: https://imgur.com/a/8q7tZeb

Feb 12, 2019
I think you're probably right but I cant mess with it until the weekend anyway so maybe someone has an idea. I understand running two of the same card in conjunction for additional processing power but surely there must be instances where someone would run multiple, different cards. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I think you're probably right but I cant mess with it until the weekend anyway so maybe someone has an idea. I understand running two of the same card in conjunction for additional processing power but surely there must be instances where someone would run multiple, different cards. Or maybe I'm wrong?
There are, people do it. I've done it for crypto mining with both an AMD and Nvidia GPU at the same time. I had to install a driver for one card and then a driver for the other. You didn't answer me though when I asked if you had the RTX 2060 in the top or first PCIe slot?

Feb 12, 2019
There are, people do it. I've done it for crypto mining with both an AMD and Nvidia GPU at the same time. I had to install a driver for one card and then a driver for the other. You didn't answer me though when I asked if you had the RTX 2060 in the top or first PCIe slot?
Ah yes sorry. Yes, the RTX 2060 is in the top PCIe slot closest to the CPU.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
In 99% of cases the 760 is just going to be dead weight. And even if you had a situation where you could use both simultaneously, the 2060 is so much more powerful that the 760 wouldn't really make a difference anyway. For gaming and regular desktop use it's certainly not going to be useful. Unless you have a specific use case you know can take advantage of it somehow, just get rid of it.

To make a program run on the 2060, just plug your monitor into the 2060. Also, use DDU to uninstall old drivers and then install latest drivers from Nvidia.