Select individual programs/files to migrate to SSD

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Bought a new SSD ( 240 GB 6GB/s) but I pretty much only want my OS (Windows 7 and my windows applications), Photoshop, Steam(and games), and that's pretty much it. I don't want to format my old HD as I have a lot of stuff I don't need this second, but would like to keep forever locked away in a tiny spinning disk prison.

Is there a good program that does this? Any good ideas?

Also, supposing I can't just copy over individual programs. Can I copy over my entire drive and then delete everything I've just copied (like a factory reset on a phone) and then use a flash drive to copy over my programs?

I heard you can deactivate your windows product keys (for office and your OS or whatever) and then install them again and then reactivate the keys. True or not? Would that even help me?

If I have more stuff on my HD than can fit on my SSD and try to clone my drive, what happens?

Solution

There is no application that allows you to migrate the OS, and pick and choose individual applications.

Assuming drive space fits, to migrate everything is easy.

The Samsung Data Migration allows you to exclude things in your Documents. Video/Music/Docs/etc.
But not applications.

How much total used space is consumed on your current HDD?
What...

USAFRet

Titan

There is no application that allows you to migrate the OS, and pick and choose individual applications.

Assuming drive space fits, to migrate everything is easy.

The Samsung Data Migration allows you to exclude things in your Documents. Video/Music/Docs/etc.
But not applications.

How much total used space is consumed on your current HDD?
What constitutes this space, specifically?

Solution

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Actually just updated my question. But looking at " My computer" I see my C: at 101GB free of 465. Does this mean I'm using 354 GB and it won't all clone to my SSD? What do you mean constitutes the space? Just programs and files I suppose.

Does the Samsung Data Migration also move over my OS?

Also, looking at My Computer I see ONLY my C drive and my dad's family server. But in BIOS it detected my new SSD. Why is that and is that a problem?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, you are using at least 350GB+.
Constitutes....
How much of that is Steam games?
How much of that is your music lib?
How much funny cat videos?

Yes, the Samsung Data Migration will migrate the OS. As well as many other applications.

Do you have another drive with a bunch of empty space? Copy some stuff (not applications) off to that other drive.
If you can get that total used space in the current C drive to below 200GB...a migration operation might be in order.

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

How can I tell without manually counting my files?

I have other HD sitting around I think, I'll have to check if they are empty. How do I move over that data without moving over what I want on my new drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Install and run WinDirStat.
Ultimately, though...you're the only one who knows what is on this system.

How big is your Steam lib?
Your Downloads folder?
Video, music...

Look for the large culprits first.
It is unlikely to be your 'applications'.

Report back here what you find.

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Don't have much RAM and it's at 91% running this program. (Bought more/better RAM but it's on the way)

Also, it doesn't seem to detect my drives. I have 2 HD and one SSD connected. One HD is via a USB adapter thing with three sides IDE/SATA device thing. My dad used it the other day, so it should be working

http://sta.sh/223s93gg0r3t?edit=1 That's what I've got.

Also. I have to go to work soon and anything I can't do on my phone (reply basically) I'll have to do tomorrow.

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple issues here:

While you may have 3 physical drives, only one of them is being used. A 500GB Disk 0
The 250GB Disk 1 is Unallocated (and not used)
The Disk 2 is completely unknown.

Also...you seem to have a whole bunch of Photoshop temp files. Like maybe 200GB worth.

Can you post a screencap of the whole WinDirStat window?

Later, we will see about fixing that Disk 1, 250GB drive which is Unallocated.

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

The 500 GB is my main HD. The 250 is my SSD.

Just uploaded my Win Dir Stat 3 PNG file to that link. Is that what you want?

USAFRet

Titan
I meant this output from WinDirStat:
0xvaKU8.png

And your 250GB may be the SSD...but your Disk Management window shows it as Unallocated.
You're not using it, at all. It's just sitting in the case.

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

I'll try and get that after work or to tomorrow. Are you looking for the colored cubes at the bottom too? Just trying to make sure I get you what you need.

It's hooked up with a SATA power and regular SATA cable. It's fresh opened from when I bought it. I want to transfer my OS and the things I care about.

USAFRet

Titan
Your 250GB SSD may be connected properly. But the actual space and drive is Unallocated. The OS can't (currently) see it or use it.

In Disk Management, right click on that space where is says Unallocated.
What options does it give you?

DragonClaw01

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

I'm still not sure if you want the colored square picture for the Win Dir Stat or not, or how to get it. Uploaded two new SS to the link labeled Disk Management Right Click and Win Dir Stat 4.

On my SSD I needed to make a new Volume or whatever. Did some reserach. I think I'll just try and only clone my OS over and see how that goes.