Question Select new SSD drive to run windows , Macrium reflect

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi, i have just bought a new 240gb ssd drive as my 120gb was getting full, i have cloned the 120 to the 240 using macrium reflect , when i start comp , it boots off the 120, i have tried in the boot menu to boot from the 240 but it wont work.
I have read about selecting it within macrium, eg (Step 1. Once you boot your recovery media and Macrium loads, click the “restore” pane and click “fix Windows boot problems.” , but this is where i am stuck.
i am running windows 10 . Any help please.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi , i just tried starting comp with old drive disconectted , i got a blank screen with a large flashing cursor, and also im not sure how to do a "run BOOT fix from MR rescue/restore USB"

Apr 27, 2019
When you cloned the SSD did you select all the partitions on the SSD or only C?

You need to clone the entire SSD: All the parttions > Recovery - NO_Name - None - Main SSD (C)

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
oh um, i just selected the c drive and then the new drive, does that meani didnt clone windows? i think the drives are close in the amount of gb?
if so is there a way i can redo it? do i try and run it again , and just not select back up as its already backed up? tia

Apr 27, 2019
It did not clone as the images you posted do not show the same information as in parttions etc.

1. Do you have a backup (not clone) of your 120gb SSD using Macrium of all the partitions > Recovery - NO_Name - None - Main SSD (C) > the entire SSD.
  2. Do you have the boot recovery option loaded when Windows boots to select Macrium or Windows 10?

Impropper cloning.
Target drive has to have same count of partitions as source drive. Clean target drive and redo cloning.

Target drive has to be partitioned the same way as source drive - GPT partitioning scheme. You can check partitioning scheme type in disk properties.

After cloning is done, first boot from new drive has to be performed with other drives disconnected. Or you'll have to redo cloning or manually fix bootloader.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
I am not sure , i didnt delete the old drive and i am currently running off it, in devices and drivers on windows i can just see my drives....i can see in macrium there is a recovery (none), and a No name (none) and also my c and d drives, and un unformatted (none), and when wondows boosts nothing comes up.

oh and also after i tried to clone , the new 240gb said it only had 120gb, so i extended the size , im not sure if thats why the partitions dont match?

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Great that makes sence ill try that link ty, in regards to selecting all partitions , in the screenshot i linked here https://ibb.co/1s2FrPp , on the top row for GPT Disk 2 , do i tick all 4 boxes? or just the Main SSD 120gb (c)?
and under GPT disk1, do i select Delete existing partition ? thanks

Apr 27, 2019
Great that makes sence ill try that link ty, in regards to selecting all partitions , in the screenshot i linked here https://ibb.co/1s2FrPp , on the top row for GPT Disk 2 , do i tick all 4 boxes? or just the Main SSD 120gb (c)?
and under GPT disk1, do i select Delete existing partition ? thanks

Tick all the boxes for a perfect clone of GPT Disk 2:

Delete Existing partitons on GPT Disk 1.

After cloning shut down PC.

Swap the SATA cables around so that the 240 SDD is connected to the same SATA port as the old 120 SSD but do not connect the 120 SSD:

Boot and you should be in windows:

If successful shut down the PC and connect 120 SSD:

Boot and both should show in Disk Mamagement or Macrium:

Delete and format the 120 SSD:

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming the system still boots up properly from the original drive, redo this clone operation.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
IT worked , thankyou to everyone for all your help, just another question please , now i have my 240gb as main drive , and my 120 gb deleted/formatted, if i want to move some files from the main to back up , can i just cut and past like a hdd?

USAFRet

Titan
IT worked , thankyou to everyone for all your help, just another question please , now i have my 240gb as main drive , and my 120 gb deleted/formatted, if i want to move some files from the main to back up , can i just cut and past like a hdd?
"some files"
Your personal files, yes. (and never cut and paste...always copy paste)
Steam games, mostly yes.
Applications, no.
-----------------------------------------
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png