[SOLVED] Selecting a 2 in 1 laptop does this setup make sense?

Aug 14, 2019
Hello Gentlemen,

I'll try to keep it brief. I've got an old laptop, not working tablet and a 5year old i5-4690k + GTX970 PC. I'm looking to redo my setup in a following way, I know there're more qualified people to briefly guide me, or shoot my wings to not waste cash.
  • Existing peripherals: Monitor, Gaming Mouse etc.
  • New 2 in 1 laptop to replace my Lenovo y580, ideally a 13-14" display, i7, low-mid range nvidia graphics card, low weight, flip touch screen for tablet mode, all in $1700 price range. Usage would be mostly browsing, bit of basic CAD software work, basic video editing and small time gaming (Rocket League, Old classics, PokerStars and CAD on tablet mode).
- Lenovo yoga 730, i7, gtx1050, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 15.6" flip screen
- Dell XPS 15.6"
- HP Spectre 15.6"
I'm leaning towards Lenovo from current research
- For home mode I'd go with eGPU with something like used GTX1070, for more demanding gaming, CAD work etc for when I'm at home.

My questions are:
  • Is there any 13.3"-14" 2 in 1 flip laptop with at least MX150 2GB to suit needs listed above? 13.3-14" would be ideal for portability to put it in a backpack on motorcycle etc. do some small gaming, CAD or multimedia when I'm travelling
  • Does the eGPU setup make sense to hook up said laptop to GTX1070 for home demanding gaming, demanding CAD and video editing, are there big losses still today like 10-15% efficiency?
  • Does connecting an eGPU to laptop can somehow still put a strain on laptops processor, battery and overall cooling system, or does GPU take over most of the power requirement and heat? Asking for extending the laptops life.

Solution
The e-GPU does not make much sense. It not only requires a dock, but also a power supply and a powerful GPU like 6 GB GTX 1060 to be able to run modern games at 1080p 60 fps.

Also, the yoga laptop you are considering is a 15.6 inch laptop and not much portable.

There is a 13 inch HP Envy x360 with AMD R5 APU which should be okay for your needs.

Or the 12.3 inch Microsoft Surface Pro (5th gen) with i7-7600U and Iris Plus 640, but you would need to buy the type cover and pen separately.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
The e-GPU does not make much sense. It not only requires a dock, but also a power supply and a powerful GPU like 6 GB GTX 1060 to be able to run modern games at 1080p 60 fps.

Also, the yoga laptop you are considering is a 15.6 inch laptop and not much portable.

There is a 13 inch HP Envy x360 with AMD R5 APU which should be okay for your needs.

Or the 12.3 inch Microsoft Surface Pro (5th gen) with i7-7600U and Iris Plus 640, but you would need to buy the type cover and pen separately.

Last edited:
Solution