Selecting a motherboard

trill2ride

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I am in the market for a new motherboard. Right now I have a Core i7 920 processor and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 GPU. I am looking for a gaming motherboard but I don't know if it is right for me. I am not looking to overclock any components in the system. I just want a motherboard that keeps all the components cool. I know that cooler the parts the longer they last and I am looking to build a long term PC.

So basically I am looking for something that lasts and keeps my processor cool and is flexible in terms of future expansion. I don't have a budget in mind, what ever it takes.

Thanks a lot in advance.

trill2ride

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks Proximon,

I understand what you are talking about, it makes sense. But I still need advice on buying a good motherboard. Looking around this is what I found so far:

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

The whole Asus P6T series.

As I said before, I am confused as to which one is right for me.

If you noticed, these are all Asus boards. I hear they make excellent motherboards so I would like to stick to them.

Thanks a lot.

trill2ride

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks Proximon,

I look at all these motherboards and they all seem to have a very similar feature set and price. As I said I am not really looking to overclock or anything like that, I just want one that will last.

So, what is the major difference between the P6T series, the Rampage II Extreme and the Rampage Formula.

Thanks a lot.

gatorbill

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
The P6T Deluxe is more of a basic motherboard not targeted to overclockers, however it does overclock quite nicely.
The Rampage boards are more geared towards gamers and extreme overclockers who like to push the clocking limits and use liquid cooling to keep from frying the CPU.

In your case, I'd recommend the Asus P6T Deluxe V2.
I've had one up and running for about a month now and I'm very pleased with it (OC an i7 920 to 3.9GHz on air cooling).