[SOLVED] Selecting a UPS: actual PC load vs PSU wattage ?

TopHatterCT

Commendable
Dec 11, 2021
As titled, should I pick a UPS that matches that rated wattage of my PSU or would matching the UPS capacity to my actual system load (that is around half of my power supply rated wattage) suffice? I wanna buy as small a UPS as possible since I'm almost out of money. Thanks alot! :)

Solution
If you know your maximum power output, sure, you can size the UPS that way. Probably want to leave a little wiggle room for future stuff and the aging of the UPS.

TopHatterCT

Commendable
Dec 11, 2021
If you know your maximum power output, sure, you can size the UPS that way. Probably want to leave a little wiggle room for future stuff and the aging of the UPS.
Yes, based on outervision's calculator, a 650VA UPS will suffice for my system with ample room to spare. Other people elsewhere though insist that I match my UPS to my psu max capacity and get a 1000VA instead, which I can no longer afford.

kanewolf

Titan
As titled, should I pick a UPS that matches that rated wattage of my PSU or would matching the UPS capacity to my actual system load (that is around half of my power supply rated wattage) suffice? I wanna buy as small a UPS as possible since I'm almost out of money. Thanks alot! :)
Although you have chosen a best, answer.... The truly best answer is to MEASURE the actual usage of the PC, then use the charts provided by the UPS manufacturers to determine the size based on the measured usage and the desired run time.

TRENDING THREADS