[SOLVED] Selecting CPU and Windows version for old desktop with LG775 mobo--please help!

monge89

Prominent
Aug 6, 2020
I have an old desktop in the basement that hasn't been used in years. I want to get it running again to see if the data on the hard drives is retrievable. When I stopped using the rig I sold the CPU and kept the other parts, so I just need to get a compatible CPU to get it working. The mobo has LG 775 socket and I just want the cheapest CPU that will run any version of Windows, so I can try to access the hard drives. I won't be gaming or doing anything demanding on this rig, really just need it to run Windows. I found a Core 2 Duo E8400 for $19, so I'm planning on going with that one. My question is, will I have any issues running Windows 10 with this CPU? Like a firmware issue with the motherboard or something? If so, should I go with Windows 7 instead? The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. I already have all other components from the old rig, including GPU, RAM and PSU (If it still works).

Solution
Any lga775 cpu would technically work with windows 10. You'd just want to stay away from single core cpus for performance reasons. My old e6400 has been through 7, 8 and 10.