Question Selecting external backup files for restoration?

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
Hi All, My wife's machine went down hard last week. I reinstalled Windows 10 from a media creation tool and it is up and running. Except for Microsoft stuff the 500GB SS drive C drive was wiped. The machine also has a 3TB spinner and the original 100GB SS drive that was replaced.

I'd like to restore the rest of the C drive from a 3TB Seagate backup drive. It is a couple months old but should be fine for the desktop and some of the apps stored there. My problem is selecting files. In the backup manager I either have to replace all the files (which I assume includes the spinner) or select which files to restore. When I try to select files, it get the window shown. You can't select the whole file. It has to be broken down to individual files -- and that's a lot of them. It also only shows files or folders and some of the programs that were on the drive didn't have either.

Long story shorter, how do I just backup up the C drive without the E? Suppose I could just disconnect E and see what happens but this project has had enough drama already. Thanks for looking, Skip
H3TQub2.jpg

I reinstalled Windows 10 from a media creation tool and it is up and running. Except for Microsoft stuff the 500GB SS drive C drive was wiped............

I'd like to restore the rest of the C drive from a 3TB Seagate backup drive.

Not quite following that.

You reinstalled Windows and its up and running...............but you want to restore something from the old C.

What is that something?

Installed programs?

Data?

I assume the reinstallation was a clean install?

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management if possible.

Generally...you could use Macrium to "back up" any individual partition on any drive, but whether that is sensible or what you need is another question.

More clarity needed.

D

Deleted member 14196

I think you can forget restoring because you clearly don’t know what you have done or how to recover.

if you didn’t use a professional back up tool like Macrium, you can pretty much forget about restoring whatever it is you lost. Especially if it was installed applications