Hallo everybody,

My configuration is :
MB : Gigabyte GA G41m combo
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E5400
RAM : Kingston (2 X 1) 2 GB DDR2
GPU : Nvidia Geforce 210 512 MB

Keeping the same MoBo I'd like an advice about repalcing the following :
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
RAM : (2 X 4) 8 GB DDR3 Kingston or Samsung (compatible type)
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 580 or 660 or 680 or 1080 Ti or Radeon HD 6970

Can you help me regarding the GPU selection?

DSzymborski

Titan
The exact power supply is perhaps the most important bit of information for any GPU upgrade. Without it, can't recommend anything that uses more power than your Geforce 210 (which means 30W).

Even with a CPU upgrade, you probably won't get much benefit beyond a GTX 660. While I'd usually recommend a GTX 1050 Ti or RX 470 as the maximum for an older build like this, I wouldn't recommend this because this motherboard uses BIOS instead of UEFI and there's a decent chance a recent GPU won't cooperate.

But for ethical reasons, I can't recommend a GTX 660 without knowing the exact power supply.

DSzymborski

Titan
PSU 450Watts
It can be "replaced" also

I need to know the exact power supply, not just the wattage. The brand of the power supply, the specs of the +12V rail from the label being most important. I've seen prebuilt "450W" that can't even do 200W of +12V power and Packard Bell is not notable for using quality power supplies.

Though if this is the original from 2008 or so, I'd probably replace it under any circumstances. Even with sufficient wattage, I'd personally want something safer.

Apr 14, 2019
I need to know the exact power supply, not just the wattage. The brand of the power supply, the specs of the +12V rail from the label being most important. I've seen prebuilt "450W" that can't even do 200W of +12V power and Packard Bell is not notable for using quality power supplies.

Though if this is the original from 2008 or so, I'd probably replace it under any circumstances. Even with sufficient wattage, I'd personally want something safer.

Sorry for the delay but i'm trying to send a photo of the lable and it's clear i can't.
About +12V I see "34A and 400W", for 3.3V and +5V i see "16A and 90W'
220V AC, 4.0A, 50/60Hz
Brand NOD Switching Power Supply Model PSU-104

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, at least it's better than some of the horrors I've seen in Packard Bells. But I'd definitely replace that as part of an upgrade. Thankfully, you have a normal aftermarket motherboard, not a custom job that would require a very proprietary power supply (which some prebuilts have which I absolutely hate).

Apr 14, 2019
Well, at least it's better than some of the horrors I've seen in Packard Bells. But I'd definitely replace that as part of an upgrade. Thankfully, you have a normal aftermarket motherboard, not a custom job that would require a very proprietary power supply (which some prebuilts have which I absolutely hate).

So, that means you still recommend a GTX 1050 Ti or RX 470 as a proper solution to the GPU upgrade? Is this 1 or 2 Gb?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
some newer graphics cards may not work on older boards having a non-uefi bios.Before buying a new card,make sure it doesn't have any known compatibility issues with older motherboards.

if you want to keep the existing psu,then try to get a 750ti or a gtx 1050/1050ti.Buying a high-end card like the 1080 is not recommended as it will be severely bottlenecked by your older cpu.

TRENDING THREADS