New PSU
Antec High Current Gamer 900W Power Supply HCG-900

new case to keep everything nice and cool
CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout

cpu cooler to prolong the life of my Q6600
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

and a new screen so im not playing at 1600x1200 LOL
AOC 2436VWH 23.6in Widescreen LCD Monitor

keep in mind this is my second computer so I don't want to spend thousands, any suggestions are welcome different brands cheaper options better anything really, thanks in advance for your help.

kjameel1

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Its a very good upgrade and also this card is a beast.U will be able to play any games on high res and also full AA.As Why_Me has said these v8 are junk, better take something better. Best of luck 4 ur new upgrade.....

A graphics card upgrade is the usual recommendation for better gaming FPS. But, you may not be able to take advantage of a 6970 with your current cpu.
To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

If you are using the stock intel cooler, then an aftermarket cooler is a good idea. It need not be expensive to be effective.
the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 is $30 and will fit both 775 and 1155 sockets,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

Plan on keeping your old monitor attached if you have the desk space. Put static stuff like e-mail or performance monitors on it. Gaming will not be impacted.

You can run any single card with a 650w or 700w psu. But the Antec you mentioned is a very good one and a good value, even if it is more power than you need right now.
Still, you can save some $ to be used elsewhere with a psu at half the cost.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I understand that "for now" I may be bottlenecking the cpu i have and that the PSU is to big but I am trying to plan ahead, for future upgrades, I think it would be easier to get a bigger psu now than buy a smaller one now and a bigger one later.
I have also decided to pull my ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB out of my other system and use it instead of running crossfire so when the time comes and I upgrade the mobo, ram and cpu I can then get the newest graphics cards at the time.

For the next upgrade I am thinking of saving for;
2 new graphics cards maybe 8GB how nice with that be 2 4GB cards cant be far away
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard B3
Intel Core i7 2600K
with some G.Skill ram

Thanks for the advice with the cooler I will be looking into that today. I am on this site so much and everyone posts newegg links I wish they delivered to Australia lol

Does anyone know anything about the ram i have should it be ok for another 6 months or so

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I have been looking around at coolers for overclocking my Q6600 and the silver arrow seems to be the cooler of choice by a LOT of people anyone got one or have had experience with these coolers?
Hopefully with the silver arrow and the CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout case with the 2 extra fans I should be able to keep everything in my pc nice and cool, I am only so stuck on cooling because I live in the middle of Australia and it is HOT, anyone else have advice on cpu coolers or even cooler cases?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I was thinking of price point with that cooler. The Silver Arrow and Noctua ND-14 are about as good as it gets. You can't go wrong with either cooler imo. Also there's optional add on case fans for that case..in the link and on megabuy.

TRENDING THREADS