Selecting Processor and GPU for my mid range gaming rig

indrashis95

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hi everyone this is Indrashis...
I am going to build a medium budget gamin rig....and I've picked core i3-530(2.93)
I'll be playing most of the games on a 16inch monitor(1366*768)...
I have 2 graphics cards in mind,one is ATI 5750 and other is ATI 5770...
I don't know whether this cards will be good enough or more than enough for this system...
Please advise....
Thanks in advance

Solution
G
I wouldn't call an i3 mid-range. It's low end. Or as I call it "fake quad" since it's 2 physical cores with HT. Anyhow, I think if you can find one for sale cheap enough a GTX 460 SuperClocked would be a good buy. Those are supposed to compete against 5830's and usually can be found for about the same price as the 5770's. And they never get hotter than 65C and can be used with as little as a 450W PSU. So consider it. As far as the CPU is considered, you have to figure what is going to work best with your budget and what you plan to do long term.

Example: I have a GA-p55a-ud3 motherboard. It has the 1156 socket. Great. The board supports crossfire. Great. But this board also has SATA III and USB3. That will take up some...

indrashis95

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I am going to build a medium budget gamin rig....and I've picked core i3-530(2.93)
I don't know whether this cards will be good enough or more than enough for this system...
Please advise....
Thanks in advance

indrashis95

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Please advise....
Thanks in advance

indrashis95

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Please advise....
Can you guyes give me any advice about the processor.....
As I'm going to build this rid mostly for playing games...should I go for a Intel Core i3-540 or any equivalent AMD processor r there (as i'm tight on budget I can't go 2 any higher model).... I dont know much about AMD processors....
also I've heard that ATI cards go well with AMD processors,is that true??
Thanks in advance

For that resolution I would get a 5770.
I think a 5770 should work fine for you.

I'm actually not too sure on the performance of an i3... BUT, most games are more reliant on the video card and not the CPU. I know for the same price you could get an Athlon II X4 640 which would definitely be enough for gaming. But I think the i3 would be enough as well.

G

I wouldn't call an i3 mid-range. It's low end. Or as I call it "fake quad" since it's 2 physical cores with HT. Anyhow, I think if you can find one for sale cheap enough a GTX 460 SuperClocked would be a good buy. Those are supposed to compete against 5830's and usually can be found for about the same price as the 5770's. And they never get hotter than 65C and can be used with as little as a 450W PSU. So consider it. As far as the CPU is considered, you have to figure what is going to work best with your budget and what you plan to do long term.

Example: I have a GA-p55a-ud3 motherboard. It has the 1156 socket. Great. The board supports crossfire. Great. But this board also has SATA III and USB3. That will take up some of the available PCIEx16 lanes that could be used for a second card! Not good. The 1156 chips, from what I recall, can only support up to 16 lanes on the PCIEx16 channel. In other words it can use 2 video cards in crossfire X at 8X speed, or if you have a chipset like mine, 1 video card at 8X and 1 video card at 4X (which is a waste) if I am using sata III or USB 3. So the lesson here is get one good card and stick with it if you plan to go the Intel 1156 route. They CAN do multiple GPU's. But in any configuration that enables next-gen features (USB3 and Sata III) It just doesn't have the available lanes to do so effectively.

AMD however if more forgiving, since PCIE lanes are still controlled by the northbridge (if I recall correctly). If your on a slim budget get a Phenom II X2 550 and later on try to unlock it. I like my 890GPA-UD3 for my AMD build but I've read quality has been spotty.

Hope it helped.

Solution

indrashis95

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Does X4 support L3 cache??
Is it a quad core processor??
Won't the Quad core processors have any edge over the dual cores in the gaming performance??
Also please suggest good motherboadrs for both the processor.