Question selection of SSD

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I have a PC, WIN 10 64 Bit Pro, ASUS Prime 590-A MB, Intel CoreTM i-7-10700 Cpu @3.GHz, 48GB Ram (47 usable).'

My boot drive just detected a physical defect and does not reliably work. It won't restore. I used a rescue disk and no help. I tried to make a new rescue disk, but I received message that I have a physical defect and I could not make a new one. It was a WD 1 tb.

I want to replace it with a SSD. I read all about the problems/solution about making an SSD a boot drive.

I do a LOT of static image processing, using ThumbsPlus. No games. very few videos.

I think I want a 2tb SSD.

Other than that what are some of the options I run into when shopping?

Thanks in advanced. RDG

If I read your motherboard spec sheet correctly, it does NOT support PCIe 4.0 drives unless you have an 11th gen processor.

Looks like you don't have 11th gen processor.

So, M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 drives are the best idea unless you think you will upgrade your motherboard or CPU.

Candidates would include Samsung 970 EVO Plus or any of several WD Blue or Black. Not sure what your budget is or where you are located.

You could always use a standard SATA 2.5 inch SSD as well, such as the Crucial MX 500.

Not a lot of difference between them, though benchmarks might worry you.

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
If I read your motherboard spec sheet correctly, it does NOT support PCIe 4.0 drives unless you have an 11th gen processor.

Looks like you don't have 11th gen processor.

So, M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 drives are the best idea unless you think you will upgrade your motherboard or CPU.

Candidates would include Samsung 970 EVO Plus or any of several WD Blue or Black. Not sure what your budget is or where you are located.

You could always use a standard SATA 2.5 inch SSD as well, such as the Crucial MX 500.

Not a lot of difference between them, though benchmarks might worry you.
thanks RDG

still a little confused. I did a search on Amazon to gauge prices for "m.2 nvme pcie 3.0 ssd" I get responses that look like RAM chips. Are those what I am looking for and how are they used.?
Yes they look somewhat like RAM sticks but have connectors on narrow side. M.2 is a socket for them on the MB which is actually a miniature PCIe x4 because NVMe SSDs work on PCIe protocol.
As for SATA 2.5" SSDs their connector amd use is same as mechanical HDDs.

still a little confused. I did a search on Amazon to gauge prices for "m.2 nvme pcie 3.0 ssd" I get responses that look like RAM chips. Are those what I am looking for and how are they used.?

They attach directly to the motherboard in the M.2 ports.

No cables.

You need to locate the tiny tiny did I say tiny screw that ties down the end of the drive to the motherboard.

The screws are supplied with the motherboard, NOT WITH THE DRIVE.

If you can't find it, you have at least a minor problem.

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
They attach directly to the motherboard in the M.2 ports.

No cables.

You need to locate the tiny tiny did I say tiny screw that ties down the end of the drive to the motherboard.

The screws are supplied with the motherboard, NOT WITH THE DRIVE.

If you can't find it, you have at least a minor problem.
//Thanks. I found the instructions in the manual. RDG