Self build gaming pc inconsistent problem

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry if it is under the wrong section this seemed to be the most appropriate.

First here are my pc specs i just build this pc a two days ago.
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K
CPU-Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 RGB
Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series 850W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 3200mhz (using xmp setting in msi motherboard)
GPU: GTX 680 (This one is very old i bought it second hand and will upgrade it later.)
HDD: slow secondary 2TB (5 years old)
SSD: Samsung evo 860 1TB (C drive has windows 10 few months old)

These problems are inconsistent so i will explain them one by one from what i can remember.
- After assembly i booted my computer without reinstalling windows 10. Later i decided to update some msi drivers mainly the realtek audio driver and intel gpu driver. After that i just used firefox and after a while of using my computer (30min-2hour) my computer begins to hang, the audio stutters continues to hang and stutter for 4 seconds but then working fine for 5 seconds and then repeats the hanging again and continues in this loop.

I rebooted my pc and decided to completely format my ssd and reinstall windows 10 (through boot menu so everything is wiped). After this i updated my gtx680 driver and installed some software i needed. These problems never occurred while using simple tasks like using firefox etc.

- But when i play Cities skylines using tons of mods the game works fine for (15min-2hours+) but sometimes just glitches out. One of the times my game began to hang and stutter then continued normally for a few seconds then again began to hang and stutter for a few seconds and this happens a few times. After that the computer completely hangs and my screen looked like this(image made with smartphone):
dpq9z1v.jpg

After rebooting my computer it was working normally again.
I tried doing some fixes from the internet like reseating the ram disabling audio drivers expect 1.
Updated my msi bios to the lastest. However these problems still occur.

- Once my game began to hang and stutter like the other times in this loop but i quickly killed the game. Before my whole pc hang, then my computer was working fine again. Without even rebooting it.

So i'm pretty clueless what exactly the problem is i tried different things i don't even understand the cause and windows event viewer doesn't give me anything, the only results i found is that i rebooted my computer nothing else happend during the time of the crash.

Solution
I recently bought an MSI X470 mainboard and I use onboard soundcard as my old x-fi can not be connected to this motherboard. and while using soundcard drivers from MSI, when my daughter was playing The Sims 4 after a few ten minutes to few hours the Windows was hanging with no mouse or keyboard input. had the same issue in skyrim also after 1 hour of gameplay. So I decided to install the latest drivers for CPU, mainboard and sound card. I downloaded the sound card drivers from realtek and istalled them. and the problem solved. try this it might also work for you

daerohn

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I recently bought an MSI X470 mainboard and I use onboard soundcard as my old x-fi can not be connected to this motherboard. and while using soundcard drivers from MSI, when my daughter was playing The Sims 4 after a few ten minutes to few hours the Windows was hanging with no mouse or keyboard input. had the same issue in skyrim also after 1 hour of gameplay. So I decided to install the latest drivers for CPU, mainboard and sound card. I downloaded the sound card drivers from realtek and istalled them. and the problem solved. try this it might also work for you

Solution