[SOLVED] Self build Pc doesn't boot (no bios, only black screen), but fans are spinning

Feb 23, 2021
(first post on tom's hardware, i hope this is the correct place)

Specs:
GIGABYTE 570 Gaming X motherboard
amd radeon r7 200 series GPU
amd ryzen 7 3700x CPU with stock cooler
HyperX 16GB (1x 16 GB) 3200MHz DDR4
cooler master thunder 600w
cooler master k380 case

Hi everyone i tried upgrading my pre-built pc (for the first time so i am a first time builder)
by upgrading the motherboard, the cpu and the ram (the gpu will follow).

Quick note: I used an anti-static wristband and was very careful with the new parts.

However, after adding these parts i can't seem to get it to boot.
When i press the power button only the cpu fan, gpu fan and occasionaly the system fan start spinning. The RGB colours of the ram also start shining. But nothing happens when i plug in a monitor, all i get is a black screen and my monitors state that there is no signal detected. I had expected to see a bios but alas.
Also, one time after pressing the power button, the pc turned on (same situation as described above) but then it suddenly went off and restarted automatically. I don't know why this happened or what this could mean, but this might be usefull information.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is / what i did wrong?

I already checked all the power supply cables for the motherboard (24 ATX) and the cpu (12v ATX).
I also looked at the cpu position. I believe it is placed correctly, it slides nicely into its slot and i didn't see any bent pins.
Because i need my pc tomorrow i took out all the parts and put in the old parts. Basically rebuilding my old pc and everything works and i can use my pc like normal.

Can it be that the powersupply is too weak to power the new components?
or is the motherboard defect, or another component?
or does the motherboard shortcircuit by touching the case?

If something is unclear or you need extra information just ask!

Ty in advance!

Solution

Specs:
cooler master k380 case

Hi everyone i tried upgrading my pre-built pc (for the first time so i am a first time builder)

Quick note: I used an anti-static wristband and was very careful with the new parts.

When i press the power button only the cpu fan, gpu fan and occasionaly the system fan start spinning. The RGB colours of the ram also start shining. But...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the old assembly works you know how to put a PC together.

Should be plenty of power, particularly to just boot. Though getting a more well known power supply is something to look into, particularly if that one is 5 years old or more.

All BIOS versions on either the revision 1.0 or 1.1 of your motherboard support the CPU.

Which exact model of system memory? HyperX 16GB (1x 16 GB) 3200MHz DDR4 (You will also want to look into 2x8GB memory kits for dual channel memory, quite a performance boost over a single stick)

Qualified Memory List for GIGABYTE 570 Gaming X motherboard 1.0 or 1.1:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-gaming-x_matisse_200918.pdf

So, that will list out guaranteed working memory chips, compare against yours, exact model should be on the sticker or packaging of the memory.

As for short circuits, that would typically prevent the system from powering for more than a second or two. Still, best to build the system outside the chassis to see if that takes care of it.

Your GPU concerns me a little, R7 200 series is rather old, and some of that series are based on even farther back chips. Which is the exact model? Does it require a 6-pin PCIe cable?

If nothing else, start here and work your way through this if you haven't:

Feb 23, 2021
Well, if the old assembly works you know how to put a PC together.

Should be plenty of power, particularly to just boot. Though getting a more well known power supply is something to look into, particularly if that one is 5 years old or more.

All BIOS versions on either the revision 1.0 or 1.1 of your motherboard support the CPU.

Which exact model of system memory? HyperX 16GB (1x 16 GB) 3200MHz DDR4 (You will also want to look into 2x8GB memory kits for dual channel memory, quite a performance boost over a single stick)

Qualified Memory List for GIGABYTE 570 Gaming X motherboard 1.0 or 1.1:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-gaming-x_matisse_200918.pdf

So, that will list out guaranteed working memory chips, compare against yours, exact model should be on the sticker or packaging of the memory.

As for short circuits, that would typically prevent the system from powering for more than a second or two. Still, best to build the system outside the chassis to see if that takes care of it.

Your GPU concerns me a little, R7 200 series is rather old, and some of that series are based on even farther back chips. Which is the exact model? Does it require a 6-pin PCIe cable?

If nothing else, start here and work your way through this if you haven't:

Ty for answering!

Yeah my old parts are 7 years old so replacing the power supply is something i was looking to do in the future.
The same goes for my GPU, but many GPU's are sold out and i don't know a good one that is kinda affordable.

Inside the user's manual of my motherboard it says: Rev. 1001
I think this means rev 1.1, but i am not sure.

This is the code/id that is located on a sticker on the back of my RAM: hx432c16fb3a/16
When i look up this code on the QVL it gets a hit, so i think this RAM should be ok.
(Quick question, can i still get the dual channel performance boost if i get an 8GB DDR4 RAM stick, or does it have to be two equal RAM sticks?)

So you think it is unlikely the motherboard is short circuiting because it keeps running?
Next time, i will build it outside the case first. Do you know a good surface to work on? Thank you for the tip!

Yes my GPU is very old, i don't know the exact mode unless AMD Radeon r7 260 is what you mean . Is there an easy way to look that up, or do i have to extract it from my pc?
I don't know exactly what a PCIe cable is, but what i do remember is that i plugged in a cable with 6 little blocks into the GPU, the same kind of cable that I plugged into my motherboard's ATX openings.

If something is unclear in my answer, let me know!

Again ty for your answer !

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
7 years old is a bit much, but as long as it is working, should be okay.

Not sure on the revision, probably just a minor revision on 1.0. The BIOS will tell you when you get it up and running. They use the same memory list for both, so that should be fine.

You can add a second memory stick and double the memory, probably the easiest to do. If you add an 8GB stick you will have 2x8GB in dual channel and the remainder in single channel. You will want to stick with the same brand/speed if possible. Though, it would be best to return that stick and get a 3600Mhz 2x8GB kit, Ryzen benefits greatly from faster memory, sets the speed the CPUs communicate with each other (Infinity Fabric)

Try other memory slots, just in case. Bad memory can prevent a boot, but typically the motherboard would beep at you if you have added a PC speaker/buzzer. I don't think your motherboard has a boot display

Right, a short in 5V or 12V would trip the power supply. And since your old system works, we know that 5V and 12V, and 3.3V are working.

The program GPU-Z can tell you the exact model of GPU. Since it does take a 6-pin PCIe connector, it is going to be a mid-range card, probably an r7-260 - 270...

Your board supports the Q-Flash option, CPUless BIOS flashing, that might be worth a shot to get the latest BIOS, this may solve some compatibility issues with memory. You will want to confirm 1.0 or 1.1 before downloading a BIOS file.

Feb 23, 2021
7 years old is a bit much, but as long as it is working, should be okay.

Not sure on the revision, probably just a minor revision on 1.0. The BIOS will tell you when you get it up and running. They use the same memory list for both, so that should be fine.

You can add a second memory stick and double the memory, probably the easiest to do. If you add an 8GB stick you will have 2x8GB in dual channel and the remainder in single channel. You will want to stick with the same brand/speed if possible. Though, it would be best to return that stick and get a 3600Mhz 2x8GB kit, Ryzen benefits greatly from faster memory, sets the speed the CPUs communicate with each other (Infinity Fabric)

Try other memory slots, just in case. Bad memory can prevent a boot, but typically the motherboard would beep at you if you have added a PC speaker/buzzer. I don't think your motherboard has a boot display

Right, a short in 5V or 12V would trip the power supply. And since your old system works, we know that 5V and 12V, and 3.3V are working.

The program GPU-Z can tell you the exact model of GPU. Since it does take a 6-pin PCIe connector, it is going to be a mid-range card, probably an r7-260 - 270...

Your board supports the Q-Flash option, CPUless BIOS flashing, that might be worth a shot to get the latest BIOS, this may solve some compatibility issues with memory. You will want to confirm 1.0 or 1.1 before downloading a BIOS file.

It is rev 1.1 i just read the user's manual of the motherboard and it said to look on the left bottom corner of the motherboard to see the revision.

I downloaded GPU-Z and ran it, is it useful if i make a screenshot and send it to you or is it not useful?

Ty for the advice, i guess i will try to get a new GPU and diffrent ram and try building it again, hoping it will work :/

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can just try building it again, try the other memory slots, maybe re-seat the CPU. X570 and your CPU support PCIe 4.0, and that might be causing an issue with the older GPU. Many people have to force PCIe 3.0 to get things working, which means you need to see the BIOS.

Also worth trying to update the BIOS. This should be possible without a CPU with your motherboard. (It is rather high end, has a lot of neat features)

Though the memory purchase is just a good idea, since you only have a single stick to test with, if that one isn't working you have no other options.

Feb 23, 2021
You can just try building it again, try the other memory slots, maybe re-seat the CPU. X570 and your CPU support PCIe 4.0, and that might be causing an issue with the older GPU. Many people have to force PCIe 3.0 to get things working, which means you need to see the BIOS.

Also worth trying to update the BIOS. This should be possible without a CPU with your motherboard. (It is rather high end, has a lot of neat features)

Though the memory purchase is just a good idea, since you only have a single stick to test with, if that one isn't working you have no other options.

What do you mean with 're-seat the CPU'?
And what does PCIe 4.0 mean?
My motherboard has two places for my GPU, one that is called PCIEX16 and one that is called PCIEX4.
I placed the GPU into PCIEX16, does this have anything to do with PCIe 4.0?

Also, does the place of the RAM matter? I placed it once into DDR4_A1 (closes to the cpu) and once into DDR4_B2 (the farthest away from the cpu)?

Again, ty for your time!

Last edited:
It is rev 1.1 i just read the user's manual of the motherboard and it said to look on the left bottom corner of the motherboard to see the revision.

I downloaded GPU-Z and ran it, is it useful if i make a screenshot and send it to you or is it not useful?

Ty for the advice, i guess i will try to get a new GPU and diffrent ram and try building it again, hoping it will work :/
I'm confused. How could you run GPU-Z it your system isn't booting?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU is connected directly to the PCIe x16 slots, an M.2 slot, and the memory. A bad pin connection can cause all sorts of problems. AMD still uses ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets with pins on the CPU. Not prone to failure, but best to check under the CPU for bent pins, and to make sure the CPU orientation is correct. I know you mentioned that it went in fine, and it probably is, but this is just one of many steps you can take before buying replacement components.

PCIe PCI Express is the serial bus that most devices are connected to inside of a computer. Your graphics, and some storage are typically connected direct to the CPU. Lesser devices, network, audio, etc are connected to the chipset, and the chipset is connected to the CPU. The revision equals the bandwidth. Each revision is approximately twice as fast as the last. Your system is quite new, and offers version 4.0, your older GPU probably doesn't understand 4.0 mode, so needs to run at 3.0 or less.

You should use the first x16 slot for your GPU.

Typically population of memory in 4 slot boards is this. (Though consult the manual)
Closest to CPU, empty
Second slot, populated 8GB
Third slot, empty
Fourth slot, populated 8GB

First two slots are Channel A/1
Second two slots are Channel B/2

If you wanted to do an odd configuration but still have dual channel, most common would be something like
Slot 1 Empty
Slot 2 16GB or 16GB
Slot 3 8GB or empty
Slot 4 8GB or 8GB

The main reason to populate the slots farther away is CPU cooler clearance. The opposite should also work, but most aftermarket motherboards are configured this way.

Feb 23, 2021
CPU is connected directly to the PCIe x16 slots, an M.2 slot, and the memory. A bad pin connection can cause all sorts of problems. AMD still uses ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets with pins on the CPU. Not prone to failure, but best to check under the CPU for bent pins, and to make sure the CPU orientation is correct. I know you mentioned that it went in fine, and it probably is, but this is just one of many steps you can take before buying replacement components.

PCIe PCI Express is the serial bus that most devices are connected to inside of a computer. Your graphics, and some storage are typically connected direct to the CPU. Lesser devices, network, audio, etc are connected to the chipset, and the chipset is connected to the CPU. The revision equals the bandwidth. Each revision is approximately twice as fast as the last. Your system is quite new, and offers version 4.0, your older GPU probably doesn't understand 4.0 mode, so needs to run at 3.0 or less.

You should use the first x16 slot for your GPU.

Typically population of memory in 4 slot boards is this. (Though consult the manual)
Closest to CPU, empty
Second slot, populated 8GB
Third slot, empty
Fourth slot, populated 8GB

First two slots are Channel A/1
Second two slots are Channel B/2

If you wanted to do an odd configuration but still have dual channel, most common would be something like
Slot 1 Empty
Slot 2 16GB or 16GB
Slot 3 8GB or empty
Slot 4 8GB or 8GB

The main reason to populate the slots farther away is CPU cooler clearance. The opposite should also work, but most aftermarket motherboards are configured this way.

Ok i will look for bent pins again next time i build the pc, and place the RAM into all slots.

Also, does it matter where i plug the hdmi cable / vga cable from my monitors into?
I plugged the hdmi cable of my first monitor into the IO guard slot of my motherboard and the vga cable directly into my GPU.
Because my cpu doesn't have an integrated gpu, does this mean plugging the hdmi cable into the motherboard will always result in a blackscreen?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your CPU doesn't have onboard graphics. Those ports are there to support the Ryzen G series parts and the Athlon G parts that have Vega graphics on board. With your CPU they should be non-functional.

Your GPU is the only thing that should have a monitor plugged into it.

Feb 23, 2021
Your CPU doesn't have onboard graphics. Those ports are there to support the Ryzen G series parts and the Athlon G parts that have Vega graphics on board. With your CPU they should be non-functional.

Your GPU is the only thing that should have a monitor plugged into it.

Ok, ty!

Also, if i remember correctly I didn't hear my HDD when I powered on my pc. Could this mean anything?

Feb 23, 2021

Specs:
cooler master k380 case

When i press the power button only the cpu fan, gpu fan and occasionaly the system fan start spinning. The RGB colours of the ram also start shining. But nothing happens when i plug in a monitor, all i get is a black screen and my monitors state that there is no signal detected. I had expected to see a bios but alas.
Also, one time after pressing the power button, the pc turned on (same situation as described above) but then it suddenly went off and restarted automatically. I don't know why this happened or what this could mean, but this might be usefull information.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is / what i did wrong?

I already checked all the power supply cables for the motherboard (24 ATX) and the cpu (12v ATX).
I also looked at the cpu position. I believe it is placed correctly, it slides nicely into its slot and i didn't see any bent pins.
Because i need my pc tomorrow i took out all the parts and put in the old parts. Basically rebuilding my old pc and everything works and i can use my pc like normal.

Can it be that the powersupply is too weak to power the new components?
or is the motherboard defect, or another component?
or does the motherboard shortcircuit by touching the case?

If something is unclear or you need extra information just ask!

Ty in advance!

SOLVED!

I bought returned the RAM module and bought two others and now it works.
I placed one of the RAM modules into each position and tried to boot the pc. Every time it booted and the uefi got shown!
This must mean my previous RAM module was defect, just tough luck i guess.

Ty Eximo, for all your advice without your advice I wouldn't have bought new RAM most likely !!

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. I like an OP that is trying to learn and asks good questions. That way we get to leave this here for the next person to read and maybe solve a similar problem on their own.

Single memory stick, single point of failure, no other testing options.

Feb 23, 2021
No problem. I like an OP that is trying to learn and asks good questions. That way we get to leave this here for the next person to read and maybe solve a similar problem on their own.

Single memory stick, single point of failure, no other testing options.

:)

Can i ask you another question.
I kinda expected my Windows and Ubuntu operating systems to not work because I changed a lot of hardware, but they do work.
Is there something I need to do, maybe install/update drivers or am i good to go?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Feb 23, 2021
You should install the latest drivers for everything from the manufacturer's site.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

Linux is a little more specialized, but it depends on what you use it for if you really need additional drivers. If you intend gaming in there, certainly the GPU drivers. Otherwise Linux does a pretty good job of operating on practically anything,

Ok ty, I will install the drivers from the link you provided !
And for ubuntu i will just keep it as it is until i run into problems.
Ty!

Feb 23, 2021
zxQDte0.png

SKuVnuE.png

GeipxL0.png

Do you perhaps know how i can find out which drivers I need to install?
Do I for example need both chipset drivers, or just one? And if so, which one?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have an APU, so you don't need that. You could also get that from AMD, basically the graphics driver for Athlon and Ryzen G parts.

You'll want the latest LAN driver. I suppose you could install the other Realtek 8118 driver as well.

You don't need the RAID driver. That is for using multiple drives as one, or setting up mirrored storage.

You don't need to update the BIOS if everything is working, but it may contain minor bug and performance fixes for your motherboard.

You do not technically need any of the Utilities, though some might make certain features of your board operational. RGB Fusion to control the lighting as an example. I believe the App center is a prerequisite. None of the others will prove that useful.

Feb 23, 2021
You don't have an APU, so you don't need that. You could also get that from AMD, basically the graphics driver for Athlon and Ryzen G parts.

You'll want the latest LAN driver. I suppose you could install the other Realtek 8118 driver as well.

You don't need the RAID driver. That is for using multiple drives as one, or setting up mirrored storage.

You don't need to update the BIOS if everything is working, but it may contain minor bug and performance fixes for your motherboard.

You do not technically need any of the Utilities, though some might make certain features of your board operational. RGB Fusion to control the lighting as an example. I believe the App center is a prerequisite. None of the others will prove that useful.

I downloaded among others the chipset driver and extracted the zip.
Inside the zip folder was an executable (.exe) file which I ran.
It did some things and restarted my computer, but it also created a new folder called 'pack'.
Inside this folder the following files are present:
CXSzWaJ.png

Do i need to run these files aswell or did i only have to run the inital .exe file that was extracted from the zip folder.

Another thing i noticed is that sometimes my mouse behaves weirdly. I can't really explain it well because it only happens sometimes, but it kinds jumps suddenly.
Do you have an idea what might cause this problem?