Self moving taskbar !!!

On a Windows 98SE system, the taskbar is moving on its own (about twice
a day), with no apparent reason, from the bottom to the right side of
the screen. It sometimes happen when working with Word (coincidence?).
Autohide is off, and TweakUI1.3 is installed.
This computer seems virus free (online scan + Trend latest defs), and
is not connected to Internet anymore(no possible remote control joke!).
Nobody can access this computer but me! After searching into all
microsoft answers about taskbar issues, I don't know what to try... Any
idea?

Thanks a lot.

Does this occur only when the computer is being used or will it also happen
when the computer is turned on but not being used?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

<marzinp@free.fr> wrote in message
> On a Windows 98SE system, the taskbar is moving on its own (about twice
> a day), with no apparent reason, from the bottom to the right side of
> the screen. It sometimes happen when working with Word (coincidence?).
> Autohide is off, and TweakUI1.3 is installed.
> This computer seems virus free (online scan + Trend latest defs), and
> is not connected to Internet anymore(no possible remote control joke!).
> Nobody can access this computer but me! After searching into all
> microsoft answers about taskbar issues, I don't know what to try... Any
> idea?
>
> Thanks a lot.

<marzinp@free.fr> wrote in message
> On a Windows 98SE system, the taskbar is moving on its own (about twice
> a day), with no apparent reason, from the bottom to the right side of
> the screen. It sometimes happen when working with Word (coincidence?).

Is Word the only app when it happens or are there others?

> Autohide is off, and TweakUI1.3 is installed.
> This computer seems virus free (online scan + Trend latest defs), and
> is not connected to Internet anymore(no possible remote control joke!).

Are you 100% positive? Viruses can also compromise a system from unprotected
disks, floppy and CD.

> Nobody can access this computer but me!

Unless you have set a password in the BIOS to prevent others from booting, keep
it in a Fort Knox type room, or the slim few other ways, you are not the only
one with access. If you simply set a Windows logon password, it is easily
bypassed by anyone who selects Cancel at the logon prompt.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ron, it happens also if the computer is not being used. Brian, as you
know, one can never be 100% positive about virus or other malware. I
just did all I could to check! Nobody can use this computer because
there's nobody else in the house!
Last time it happened (1 hour ago), I quickly saw a WUTemp toolbar. So
it might be a problem with automated WindowsUpdate... When I try to
Update manually, I get a 800C0008 error from Windows Update script (SSL
error). My WIndows Updater might be corrupted?

Thanks for your help!

See this article for the WU problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326253
While it discusses W2K and XP in the article, it does sound like the problem
you are having. The article does not mention the taskbar problem however.

If the computer was connected to the internet when the taskbar started
moving, I would suspect that malware is responsible.
Spyware/scumware/adware are causing numerous system problems. I recommend
you download and use the following programs and consider removing everything
these programs identify. Be aware that there are frequent updates to these
programs and you need to check for them before every use including the first
time.

AdAware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

CWShredder: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html (download
link near the bottom)

Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/

--

> Ron, it happens also if the computer is not being used. Brian, as you
> know, one can never be 100% positive about virus or other malware. I
> just did all I could to check! Nobody can use this computer because
> there's nobody else in the house!
> Last time it happened (1 hour ago), I quickly saw a WUTemp toolbar. So
> it might be a problem with automated WindowsUpdate... When I try to
> Update manually, I get a 800C0008 error from Windows Update script (SSL
> error). My WIndows Updater might be corrupted?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Thanks Ron, I've been running last updated ad-aware + Spybot +
hijackthis before posting: nothing wrong...