[SOLVED] Sell 1080ti or keep?

Oct 17, 2020
I have a 1080ti but was wondering if people think I should sell it as they are selling for quite a lot online and go without a GPU for a while and get a 3070 when they are back in stock.

Is there any estimated time they will be back in stock?

Solution
Even though the 1080ti will lose a lot of its value by then?
You have to pick your poison: either have to make-do without a GPU until whatever you wanted to buy becomes available at a price you can afford while you can still sell it for a decent price or take the hit on resale value of what you already have for the peace-of-mind of not having to worry about how long you may have to go without GPU.

The worst case that might happen is you sell your 1080, new GPUs are still nowhere to be found within the time frame you had in mind and you end up buying something slower than what you had for a higher price due to nothing being available.
Oct 17, 2020
Unless there is another crypto-crash, current-gen GPUs likely won't be readily available until next-gen cards launch and miners jump to those.

If Nvidia's anti-mining survives attempts to bypass it, then the 3070 may have an anti-crypto relaunch and you may be able to buy one then.

So what do you reckon? Keep a hold of it until the 3000 series is available again?

InvalidError

Titan
You have to pick your poison: either have to make-do without a GPU until whatever you wanted to buy becomes available at a price you can afford while you can still sell it for a decent price or take the hit on resale value of what you already have for the peace-of-mind of not having to worry about how long you may have to go without GPU.

The worst case that might happen is you sell your 1080, new GPUs are still nowhere to be found within the time frame you had in mind and you end up buying something slower than what you had for a higher price due to nothing being available.

Reactions: Creamysadface
Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

It might not... I sold my 1080 Ti for $400 in December after getting a 3090 for my new build... and now I hear they are selling for higher.

Either way, keep it till you get a 3000 series. It's still no slouch. I'd still have mine if I hadn't got lucky with my 3090 purchase at BB.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
You didn't miss that much to be fair, 1080Ti is still a beast of a card and can survive for a few more years, DLSS and RT are just a gimmick right now and there are very few games that supports it. Even the 3070 still suffers from a big fps hit when enabling RT.

My advice is to keep your 1080Ti and wait for the 4000 series or whatever Nvidia will come up with.

Coming from a 3070 user who didn't feel a real upgrade coming from the 2060 Super.

Agree Florezy I was looking at a Gigabyte 2070 Super AORUS Master Extreme last month and almost jumped on it @$600 used but it wouldn't have given me that much of a increase over my 1070ti and decided to buy a Asus Tuf 27" 165hz monitor instead.
Ghost Recon Wildlands looks Great and runs Smooth on Ultra settings.

I'm still on the Evga notification list for a
Evga 3060ti FTW3 and that list is moving very sloooow and may wait till the next series cards.
Keep the 1080 ti.

Reactions: Fiorezy
D

Deleted member 2838871

Coming from a 3070 user who didn't feel a real upgrade coming from the 2060 Super.
I have 1080ti's in 2 computers and they are staying there. I don't see any reason to change them for the slight fps upgrade. They are still beautiful cards...

As someone else said... for1080p and 1440p the 1080 Ti will do just fine... but for 4K it's falling behind and that was why I upgraded. MSFS2020 was the biggest reason.

I skipped the 20 series and for 4K gaming the 1080 Ti to 3090 jump was huge... I read something about the 30 series being the biggest performance bump in history but don't quote me on that. At any rate... if the photo realistic MSFS2020 hadn't come out I'd probably still be rocking the 7700k with 1080 Ti system but after 4 years it was out with the old and in with the new.

Point being 1080 Ti is definitely still a solid card... I'd only look at upgrading for 4K gaming.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I am playing 3070 on 1080p with maxed out everything on cyberpunk and getting only totally smooth frames no fps hits at all. using a 240hz monitor but not getting 240 frames. I'd totally keep 1080ti if still had it and definitely wait for 4000 series.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I have a 1080ti but was wondering if people think I should sell it as they are selling for quite a lot online and go without a GPU for a while and get a 3070 when they are back in stock.

Is there any estimated time they will be back in stock?
If you don't mind going months without a GPU go for it. Depending on which 1080 ti you have you may get its full value from when it was new. They probably will never be worth this much again. That money could to towards your new GPU (if they ever come back in stock).

Sell it on ebay for a very high price, think big!
If it sells cool, get buy on some low end card for a while.
If it does not just keep relisting it on ebay.
Make due with a crappy card rx470 or something you can borrow.
If you can get what you paid for the 1080ti you would be silly not to take the money.

I sold a 1070ti for 420 and could have gotten more had i asked.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Sell it on ebay for a very high price, think big!
If it sells cool, get buy on some low end card for a while.
If it does not just keep relisting it on ebay.
Make due with a crappy card rx470 or something you can borrow.
If you can get what you paid for the 1080ti you would be silly not to take the money.

I sold a 1070ti for 420 and could have gotten more had i asked.
especially if you have multiple GPUs, I sold a 1660ti last year around this time & they are going for around $600 right now

Reactions: spentshells