Sell Second sli Titan XP Card For VR Headset?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
I have a Titan XP Sli I was very surprised that almost no games use Sli anymore, I have been looking at vr games & a thought came to mind should I sell one of my titans & get a VR headset instead? I don't have the crazy amount of money that I use to when building this PC, so I cant run out & buy one off hand.. Should I hold onto the card & see if SLI makes a comeback or would it be worth it to get VR.. Granted I have never used vr before, I wanted to wait & do it properly. This is all hypothetical at this point thanks!!

Solution
If graphics card prices are still inflated it may be still a good time to sell.

It will be much shittier in 2019 after new NVidia cards come out with Tensor Cores, and the crypto-profitability bubble bursts.

I'd still hold off on VR though. The new VIVE pre-order for the VIVE with higher resolution to fix the screen-door effect and other upgrades but it's very expensive.

Old VIVE is "only" $500USD. New (VIVE PRO HMD) is $800USD:
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/03/19/htc-vive-announces-price-vive-pro-hmd-799-pre-orders-start-today-price-vive-reduced-499/

Are the controllers additional cost?

It's also far more comfortable to use long-term, and also the VIVE (and other VR devices) had issues staying properly in one position.

There's no...
Not sure, depends how much you can get for the card.

Okay, SLI will make a comeback at some point but changes like this are very SLOW. Measured in YEARS. I'm also taking about Split Frame Rendering (both GPU's processing the same frame) in future DX12 and Vulkan games not AFR which is what almost every game that supports SLI does.

SLI has multiple options (SFR, AFR..).

*WHY did SLI (AFR) start going away?
It's because modern game engines make this hard to use. AFR uses the same data pool for each card (in VRAM) so the cards just alternate processing each frame:

GPU1-> FRAME1,
GPU2-> FRAME2,
GPU1-> FRAME3
etc.

BUT... software dudes found they could analyze frames to make games more efficient. It's similar to video compression where multiple frames are analyzed in a row to look for similarities. There's an anti-aliasing technique that uses that; not sure what else.

Problem is you then need the SAME GPU to process consecutive frames... that's my understanding at least.

So we are in this transition where AFR is being phased out yet SFR has not yet been phased in.

If graphics card prices are still inflated it may be still a good time to sell.

It will be much shittier in 2019 after new NVidia cards come out with Tensor Cores, and the crypto-profitability bubble bursts.

I'd still hold off on VR though. The new VIVE pre-order for the VIVE with higher resolution to fix the screen-door effect and other upgrades but it's very expensive.

Old VIVE is "only" $500USD. New (VIVE PRO HMD) is $800USD:
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/03/19/htc-vive-announces-price-vive-pro-hmd-799-pre-orders-start-today-price-vive-reduced-499/

Are the controllers additional cost?

It's also far more comfortable to use long-term, and also the VIVE (and other VR devices) had issues staying properly in one position.

There's no "killer app" to me yet for VR. I'd be interested once Star Citizen is way further along which I believe won't be really good until roughly first half of 2020.

So I personally would pay no more than $500USD for a Vive Pro, and would not get a lesser model due to the lower-density screen door problem etc.

Other things I really want/need to go with VR would be an integrated WIRELESS battery and 60GHz stream to a USB receiver to avoid tripping over wires... I guess there's an adapter coming Q3 2018 now but I'd prefer it to be integrated:
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08/htc-vive-raises-bar-premium-vr-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

Solution