Seller On Ebay Offering a 2TB Flash Drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I found a listing for an HP 2TB Flash Drive and I immediately thought it was suspicious. So I looked for one on Google and found nothing. I then asked for the S/N and the Model No. The seller says that he cannot find the S/N but the model number is V225W. When I looked up the model number the highest capacity I found was 64GB. I asked him to transfer a file of over 64GB to the flash drive and he now claims that he transferred 101GB to the flash drive and that he will post photographic evidence. The only reason I am questioning this is because this seller has 72 positive ratings and no negative or neutral ratings.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281494884212

Solution
...all of those ratings are from product purchases. You're looking at a suspicious listing for a what's obviously a generic Chinese flash drive with 'HP' laser-etched on it (it isn't even centered horizontally), and with a package that's obviously had something blurred out below "USB FLASH DRIVE". No product numbers anywhere to be seen. I could make a RAID array of about six drives and get Windows to think it's an external 12TB removable disk. The ad is written in comically broken English, from a seller who's first items for sale happen to be three of these identical 'flash drives'. Regardless, the technology does not currently exist in that small of a package no matter who claims to be selling it.

Don't be sucked in...

Gerald_5

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

I bought the same thing off of wish.com. This one, right? I knew it was a scam (because the sale is proposterous to begin with) but just wanted to see what would happen. Sure enough, works at first glance but the actual capacity is ~7.5 GB. It writes on a loop like others are saying here. You will lose data if you write more than 7.5GB to it without it telling you. Get a refund or throw it in the trash.

Edit: Proof:
lOZDtHG.png

Looks like it's closer to 6.4GB, actually.

zappo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have seen 34 listings on ebay for 2tb USB drives, the simple fact is that there is not ram capacity of 2tb for this form factor, Max i have seen from legit suppliers is 64gb in a usb key.

These are obviously fake and ebay should do something about it

I looked at other listings and they say it has been "upgraded" from 16gb, what this means is they make a change to the FAT and it makes it report the wrong capacity.

As you copy files up to the original capacity of 16gb they will take up more space, so a 2gb file will report 1/8th of the capacity, so it will report it has 7/8ths of the fake capacity.

So you are getting 16gb

Kingston does make 1TB drives: http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/personal_business#DTHXP30

I expect you will pay through the nose for it, though.

As you copy files up to the original capacity of 16gb they will take up more space, so a 2gb file will report 1/8th of the capacity, so it will report it has 7/8ths of the fake capacity.

So you are getting 16gb
From my understanding, this isn't correct. It will write until you reach 16GB, and report 2TB minus 16GB is free (as a normal drive would), but everything written after there will just disappear into empty space. When you try to read the file, you'll get garbage.

Ken_27

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Yes it is true I have a 2TB Flash Drive I paid 21 bucks on wish.com and it is a true well its 1.9 TB I backed up my laptop and through on 1,000 songs and its just about 9% full at 143GB used

zappo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Now there are eBay sellers saying that these are ones that failed quality control and if you buy it then it is at your own risk, but that is in small print.

eBay is simply not a safe place to shop, every day people list rip off products or skew their listings, you have people listing products that have a fault but are not listed as "for spares or repair", the other day I saw a pair of curtains, when you dug into the listing you were only getting ONE, there were TWO in the pic.

Basic rule of thumb,

Do not trust anything that comes from China
Do not trust anything made in China
Do not trust location of item as shown in listing
Do not trust listings saying they are in your home town (is a con - check the feedback of the seller to see - it will say "selling on ebay in China since 2015" or similar
Do not trust the eBay warranty
Do not trust the Paypal warranty

Hell do NOT trust anything on eBay.

OddyAD17

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

This is 100% true, I have one sitting right next to me, dont listen to all these dumb people who assume they know everything.

http://imgur.com/8Rcceom

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
This is why I don't shop on online "garage sale" type auction sites. Or even buy used parts anywhere for that matter. Too many scammers to count, and not enough staff to control it. eBay seriously needs a department that checks the legitimacy of an auction before they put it up because I have heard countless eBay horror stories in which the buyer ends up getting ripped off.

zappo

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Why would eBay employ a department that stops them earning money, they do not care, they know this goes on and they allow it because they make billions from commission on what is sold.

Paulos_the_fog

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
There are now 100s of sellers on ebay selling this crap and they have even started appearing on Amazon and Lazada.

From what I can make out, if is has a capacity of more than 128GB, it looks just like an ordinary USB Flash Drive and it costs less than $100+, is 90% certain to be a fake. If it has an advertised capacity of 1TB or 2TB, it looks like an ordinary USB flash drive and it costs less than $500+ then it absolutely, definitely IS a fraudulent fake!

I just contacted eBay about several of these con-artists and their reaction was as I expected "we take your report very seriously" on a telephone line that was so noisy that I could barely hear the person on the other end who had what sounded like a Philippino accent. I asked them to give me an email address so that I could send them a list of all the scores of such products being sold but they refused saying that I needed to report each one individually. At that point I told them to F off and hung up. The problem for them is that it would cost then money in commission, in staff costs to look at each one and so on. However, If someone formally informs them and they do nothing, they could be liable in both civil and criminal law. In terms of criminal law, they may be seen to be aiding and abetting a fraud. That's why they don't want to know. If they don't know they can plead ignorance!

oczdude8

Distinguished

sorry just want to confirm, are you saying your 2TB flash drive actually works? Have you tested it properly?

Jared_81

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
I have a 2TB flash drive and I've been able to put 28.7GB of movies on it and it's been working for me. I'll keep putting more on and see if/when it becomes corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.