Selling a pc you built yourself.. ever a good idea?

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Basically I'd like to recoupe some of my cash out of my first rig.
Specs:

Prescott 3.0 HT Intel Cpu
eVGA 128-A8-N350 Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
ATA 133 80 gig maxtor, formatted of course
Asus p4p800SE board
1 Zalman CNPS6500B-AlCu P4 CPU heatsink and fan/bracket
5 vantec stealth 80mm fans
1 Vantec Stealth 92mm Double Ball Bearing Case fan
DVD-Rom Drive
CDRW Drive
Chieftec Silver Matrix MA-01SLD full tower
Enermax EG465P-VE Power Supply
1 GB Crucial DDR PC2100 RAM (2 sticks of 512Mb each) value ram stuff
1) Vantec Stealth 92mm Double Ball Bearing Case fan
(5) Zalman Fan Mate 1 adjustable fan speed controllers

Granted I'd need to take pictures and what not - but how much should I ask for it, since its used you know? Would ebay be the best route? It works fine and everything lol All in all it cost me a good bit new, was roughly 1500 or so i'd say - think anyone would ever want it, and how much should I ask for?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
You may want to look into the community section of the Forumz, under classifieds.

There are many similar rigs for sale like yours. You'll have the best shot at getting more money if you decide to part our your system. But dont expect that much, 100-200+ bucks.

usdeeper

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The problem with using ebay, is that you would have to ship the whole system with most of the components in place. If it arrives damaged, then you may have to take it back and refund.. or be open to a lot of sh!t you do not need.

Local paper might be the better route. Then you can power it up, show it, get sign off and have them take it away. You are also more likely to sell it for more.. I have seen less computers sell for more locally.

However, I have also seen people pay stupid money for junk on ebay..

Make sure you secure it to the floor before turning on all those fans in front of a buyer :)

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Good catch bombass. I currently have a very similar rig as that but have the DDR2 PC4200 RAM

You're selling the system already? It's not that old! Put in a new GPU and you'd hardly notice the difference with a new system.

My 2 cents anyway. My cash doesn't leave my pocket without good reason. Dang, maybe I'll just pick up a used system like yours for $200 bucks next time. You guys build them and sell a year later for practically nothing. Hmmm, me thinking.

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hm, I didnt think it would slow down performance that much? I didnt say I was a pro at all of this. Would you suggest I just upgrade to more/faster memory that my mobo supports?

(Suggestions?)

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hm, I didnt think it would slow down performance that much? I didnt say I was a pro at all of this. Would you suggest I just upgrade to more/faster memory that my mobo supports?

(Suggestions?)

at least get some value ram in there at 3200... if you can get something like OCZ gold series those arnt that bad adn not too expensive.. other than that you have a perty decent running rig.. dont know why you would want to sell it.. but ill buy it if you i the las vegas area... =P

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

(Suggestions?)

at least get some value ram in there at 3200... if you can get something like OCZ gold series those arnt that bad adn not too expensive.. other than that you have a perty decent running rig.. dont know why you would want to sell it.. but ill buy it if you i the las vegas area... =P

I wanted to sell if I could get like, 700 to put towards a new rig (i missed out on sata, and pci express) and i want to go with amd for less heat - BUT anyhow, i suppose since i cant get 700 in this lifetime, I can upgrade my memory and stick a SATA I (not II =O) HDD in there.

Kinda wondering, theres all these "timings" that are like 2-3-3-6 and stuff on the memory. Does that effect its compadibility on a mobo? It says that ddr 400 (3200) is compadible, so does that mean all of the timings for ddr400 is also ok for my mobo? lol, confusen.

usdeeper

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Kinda wondering, theres all these "timings" that are like 2-3-3-6 and stuff on the memory. Does that effect its compadibility on a mobo? It says that ddr 400 (3200) is compadible, so does that mean all of the timings for ddr400 is also ok for my mobo? lol, confusen.

You mobo supports Dual-Channel DDR400 Memory.. each with have different timings but will be compatible.
NewEgg has some on sale today..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141423

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Agree with above, check on eBay and you will see your rig is most valuable to you and if you build a new one make sure it works as you want, before you give up the old one. A GIG of PC3200 will make you happy for a while for sure, just make sure the dual channel feature is enabled in BIOS :)

Amk

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2004
Just sell it to someone who doesn't know too much about computer specs?

Make it look sexy and people will pay. Tbh the market is full of users who haven't a clue.

silenkiller

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

You mobo supports Dual-Channel DDR400 Memory.. each with have different timings but will be compatible.
NewEgg has some on sale today..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141423

Would it be better to go with 1 stick of 1 gig, or 2 sticks of 512? I suppose it only depends on how much you want right?

Without Windows installed, one could build an equivalent system for about $750, although surely there are some buffoons on E-bay willing to pay $1200 for it; that's what I'd ask, accept a min of $850 if Xp Home is included, $900 with XP Pro....

harmonica

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
you'll get the most out of it on ebay, but you have to sell as much as possible in seperated parts. It's not only the best option, it's fun also

usdeeper

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Would it be better to go with 1 stick of 1 gig, or 2 sticks of 512? I suppose it only depends on how much you want right?
No.. this is dual channel memory.. you need 2 sticks. Your options are either 2x512 or 2x1G. Since you have 4 slots.. you could go two lots of 2x512. This generally works out cheaper, well, it does at the moment.

If you decide to get 2x512.. and then another lot of 2x512 in the future, make sure they are indentical sticks.. right down to the make, model, timings etc.